Like Tree83Likes

Week 8 of Occupy Central: Updates & Discussions

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    David Smith
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Rocky:
    I bought BOC on the rumor but am planning to keep holding it. Its early days yet for HK connect.
    Is the connect the big 'gift' to HK that it is made out to be? I am not in finance, but it always struck me as a way to get more foreign investors into Shanghai. And perhaps part of a longer term plan to open the capital account, which I assume would make HK less relevant. Even if it results in lots of commission to HK brokers, did China really have many options other than HK? It must be easier to negotiate regulations and tax with HK, than say Singapore or London, and if this is an important project for China they probably keep more control by using HK?
    Last edited by David Smith; 18-11-2014 at 01:49 PM.

Also, President Albert Chan of Baptist University has again declined to present the degree certificates at the convocation because graduating students would open yellow umbrellas as a sign of solidarity with the OC movement:

Baptist University president Albert Chan rains on graduate parade | South China Morning Post

Quote Originally Posted by David Smith:
    Is the connect the big 'gift' to HK that it is made out to be? I am not in finance, but it always struck me as a way to get more foreign investors into Shanghai. And perhaps part of a longer term plan to open the capital account, which I assume would make HK less relevant. Even if it results in lots of commission to HK brokers, did China really have many options other than HK? It must be easier to negotiate regulations and tax with HK, than say Singapore or London, and if this is an important project for China they probably keep more control by using HK?
    the big idea is to connect HK and Shanghai Exchanges together (with a daily trading quota).
    It's more to get foreign investors in China than China investors in HK, proof being that the quotas were reached yesterday in Shanghai but not HK. Historically stocks listed both in HK and Shanghai were cheaper in China so that's why people buy into them more as they expect the prices to go up.

HK is the offshore platform for China, they will open the links a bit more, first Shanghai then Shenzhen in a few years and will increase the quotas.

Quote Originally Posted by Cho-man:
    Agree there may be a need for a new strategy. The students may have have overplayed their hands. Although to be honest, I do wonder if there can be a more effective strategy to pressure the government. Canvassing, surrounding legco etc, is all fine and well, but if it does not bring the government any real pressure to change, then it would be just as futile as the current situation.
    So they should inconvenience the gov't instead of the people? Not that I think that occupations have really affected that many people, and even then any localized loss tends to generate gains elsewhere. Rolling occupations, like in city-sized Pac-Man meets Whack-a-mole? At least the courts handing out anti-democracy injunctions like candy couldn't keep up with that.

The protesters could have pulled some dramatic stunts during the APEC meeting in the PRC, but instead they avoided causing that extra bit of drama that would've caused the CCP and CY lose face internationally. HK youth won the global bragging rights to being the best behaved protesters anywhere, but as for winning any political rights or concessions locally... none.

As for less and less people talking about this, a compliant media is also helping the pro-establishment. You can see how the media intentionally avoids discussing the aim and demands raised by the OC, but only the inconvenience caused by the movement. Now they are even avoiding talking about the OC at all.
    It's hard trying to coexist with a comprehensive and massively financed propaganda machine 'without a paddle' so government's persistant blocking of new TV and radion licenses could become one of the next focal points of the democracy movement. Could the gov't ban a "charity mega-event" in support of freedom of expression in Hong Kong? At least it would give the A-list of influential people and performers a chance to come together, united, for a good and uncomplicated cause.
    Cho-man likes this.

#25 should be withdrawal from some areas.

They also gently chided HKFS for their lack of punctuality. It's apparently become a habit that is a bit off-putting to the media.

Cho-man likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by threesummers:
    #25 should be withdrawal from some areas.

They also gently chided HKFS for their lack of punctuality. It's apparently become a habit that is a bit off-putting to the media.
    Yeah, some of it certainly is HKFS's fault (punctuality etc), but those are minor stuff. The important thing is that there is still a media outlet willing to give voice to their concerns. Sadly this is seems to be Li, which in my opinion, is really not the best advocate for their cause. Sympathetic or not to the students, Li has her own agenda.

Quote Originally Posted by Cho-man:
    But the press is reporting a different situation there, curious...or a lapse in time or judgment or something more insidious?
    The press? Good god! What did they report? Let's all listen to THE PRESS!

Quote Originally Posted by d-28:
    The press? Good god! What did they report? Let's all listen to THE PRESS!
    Umm...and where did you say the press was right? I only said there is a divergence between those two reports.

I liked this piece_

Every now and then the Big Lychee blog has some bit of writing with which I fully agree and which I couldn’t possible improve upon. This is one example.

If the Chinese government had some halfway decent public-relations advice, it would have allowed the three Hong Kong student activists tovisit Beijing on Saturday. It would have given them a meeting and photo-op with a barely medium-ranking official from a vaguely ‘relevant department’, arranged a brief tour of the Great Hall of the People, and seen them off at the airport with a pat on the head and goody bags full of T-shirts and panda bear refrigerator magnets. In other words, humour them as a busy but generous-spirited mature adult would any naïve kids.
    But of course, no. The Chinese Communist Party could never get its head around something so subtle. In a world divided between abject shoe-shiners and enemies to
    be crushed – and nothing else – Beijing had to make itself look childishly vindictive. By barring entry to its own citizens as if they were undesirable foreigners, the Chinese government also blatantly contradicted its own official line that Hongkongers belong to the motherland. (Asia Sentinel has a good piece on how the insistence that Party = Nation is alienating younger Hongkongers and Taiwanese.) And by acting scared of a clutch of geeky teenagers, Beijing made itself look pathetic and the scrawny bespectacled kids look strong.

I never said anything about anything.

You guys just chat amongst yourselves...I have to go do some stuff

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast