• Hong Kong Government allowing home prices to continue risig

6 37.50%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Like Tree36Likes

Economic losses due to Occupy Central

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by caruderma:
    to clarify things. i am not against democracy, but i am completely against the way how this people try to archive it. the majority of HK DO NOT WANT this daily trouble.
    So what would you do to achieve democracy in hk?
    Last edited by usehername; 02-12-2014 at 11:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cho-man:
    Is the law applied equally in the OC's case? The police have repeatedly turned a blind eye to attacks on the OC protesters. Surely, anyone can see the law is not applied equally or fairly when the authorities seem to give a carte blanche in cases of violence directed against the protesters.
    I happened to be leaving the office very late one night some time ago. I walked past the Nathan Road / Argyle Road junction to try and find a taxi. As I walked past one car driver turning right right from Argyle Road onto Nathan gave an angry blast on his horn. A few minutes later another car gave a few peeps of encouragement.

Which driver was pulled over and given a ticket?
    Last edited by East_coast; 02-12-2014 at 11:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    I happened to be leaving the office very late one night some time ago. I walked past the Nathan Road / Argyle Road junction to try and find a taxi. As I walked past one car driver turning right right from Argyle Road onto Nathan gave an angry blast on his horn. A few minutes later another car gave a few peeps of encouragement.

Which driver was pulled over and given a ticket?
    You tell me.

But they'll all be the same. They will all be pro-beijing. That's not a choice.

Cho-man, drumbrake and East_coast like this.

i will vote for the most suitable canditate from the 2 or 3 nominated.
    So, would you vote for Long hair or the student activist?
    Last edited by drumbrake; 02-12-2014 at 11:38 PM.
    Cho-man likes this.

i will vote for the most suitable canditate from the 2 or 3 nominated.
    You are describing one man one vote on a pre-screened selection which is obviously not 'democracy' as the average person would understand it.

There are other countries countries that operate similar systems such as North Korea, Iran and Zimbabwe. Unfortunately these all tend to be basket cases which given the quality of governance post hand-over is probably a major contributing factor to the kids not wanting a similar rigged electoral system.

If you believe that 'one man one vote' from a screened list is democracy please advance this theory a little.
    Cho-man likes this.

it's the same choice as i need to vote for a civic nominated canditate. Bush, Blair, Berusconi,Obama,Clinton, Nixon etc. all have been democratically elected. Can a pro Beijing person be worse?
    You clearly don't understand what "democracy" is.

As for Pro-Beijing person, well, we've had 3 pro-Beijing CE since the handover, and the record speak for themselves on their performance. Even if we leave aside CY for a moment, you are not suggesting Tung or Tsang are exemplary examples of a HK CE are you?
    Last edited by Cho-man; 02-12-2014 at 11:43 PM.

it's the same choice as i need to vote for a civic nominated canditate. Bush, Blair, Berusconi,Obama,Clinton, Nixon etc. all have been democratically elected. Can a pro Beijing person be worse?
    Yes.

how you can say they will be the same?????? you know already who will be selected?
    Yes. They will all have been approved by beijing. Therefore in the question of 'are they for or against greater integration with the mainland' - which is by far and away the most important issue facing hk - they are all the same.

[QUOTE=caruderma;3021453]

Quote Originally Posted by usehername:
    But they'll all be the same. They will all be pro-beijing. That's not a choice.

It is the lack of choice that is the concern. What policies can be debated and discussed when all three candidates are from the same party.

You have listed politicians that all have different political bias. This allows a society to evolve as it swings one way then the other. The chart below gives a quick idea of where their ideologies lie.

What has been suggested by Beijing as the way forward (which it shouldn't be as LegCo will probably reject it) will result in 2-3 candidate with the same or very similar ideology as they will be selected by the CCP. People with a different view being shut out. That clearly is NOT democracy.

The 'me' on the chart is not me by the way...
    Last edited by East_coast; 02-12-2014 at 11:55 PM.