Nov 6, 2016 - Oppose NPC Interpretation action
8 arrested/to be arrested - latest, Lingnan University Students' Union member, surnamed Cheng.
Last edited by threesummers; 12-01-2017 at 11:13 PM.
Protest Action/Press Conference
Never Back Down, Withdraw Judicial Review
When: Today - Thurs - 2 pm
Where: Chief Executive's Office
Last edited by threesummers; 12-01-2017 at 02:43 AM.
Derek Lam (Demosisto) phone interview on his arrest
(hosts: Li Wei-ling & Audrey Eu on D100)
Starts at 4:30 -
Rough Summary -
- Li Wei-ling comments that this round of arrests was a white terror
(was it really necessary to go banging on doors at 6 am - a tactic the police especially like to use on young people - these are protesters that aren't going to run away, they will present themselves at the police station if requested - this is theatre to scare your family, neighbours, current/potential protesters - to give the impression to others that you have done something wrong that couldn't see the light of day)
- Derek (who was loose throughout the interview) said it was a new police org that took this action (no one in the pro-democracy camp has heard of it - formed on July 1, 2015 - just to deal with protesters)
- 4 police continuously banged loudly on Derek's door at precisely 6 am (he says they are always on time) causing enough ruckus so that the neighbours could hear - they broke his doorbell so it's now malfunctioning - it woke him up, woke his mother up - outside the door, they asked if he could assist with an investigation - once inside, the attitude changed & they said he was under arrest
- when the police addressed him through the door, Derek immediately knew what was up & he let Demosisto know before opening the door
- there was no prior wind of this round of arrests
- they searched his home & took away clothes (shirt, pants & shoes - items he would've been wearing on Nov 6, 2016) - luckily this time they didn't take his phone
- as far as Derek could recall, the highest ranking of the 4 police was an inspector
- the police at the door scared his mom, but she remained calm & also liaised with Joshua Wong & the lawyer - his mom really supports him & the democracy movement, doesn't tell him to dial it down - he says he's really lucky - Li Wei-ling addresses his mom on air telling her that they all support her son & not to worry
- he was at the police station for 10 hours - bail was $1,000
- he was not allowed outside contact, though he was allowed to contact a lawyer (different from his arrest last year when even that wasn't allowed)(during the Umbrella Movement, he was allowed outside contact)
- he's noticed changes from before ie. when either he or his lawyer asked questions of the police, the reply was almost always "It's not my decision." or "I don't know." - as if they were waiting for government orders - police were more forthcoming before - Derek sees this as a new kind of white terror
- the attitude of the police has changed - their follow-up on the attack on legislator Nathan Law at the airport has been slow & then came these arrests - Derek expects things to worsen as the 20th anniversary of the handover approaches
- the police weren't rude, but their stance is that they don't see them as protesters
- there weren't issues of mistreatment at the police station - there was a 4 hour wait between procedures - he was provided a breakfast of sorts & lunch
- though some will be deterred from participating in social movements, still more will come out - especially at crucial times
- at the time of the interview, 7 had been/were about to be, arrested - 2 each from Demosisto, LSD & Student Fight For Democracy - who, together with the Labour Party, initiated the protest action at the Liaison Office - asked by the hosts & by process of elimination, "possession of an offensive weapon" is NOT attributed to these 6 arrestees
- they don't know the 7th person
Last edited by threesummers; 14-01-2017 at 09:31 AM.
At the police station (his arrest on Wed), police told him that they aim to arrest 30 people in total.
6 of Wed's arrested - in relation to a Nov 6, 2016 protest action outside the Liaison Office against the NPC Basic Law interpretation over oath-taking -
Derek Lam & Ivan Lam
Dickson Chau Ka-faat & Chan Man-wai
(League of Social Democrats)
Sammy Ip & Lo Tak-cheong
(Student Fight for Democracy)
refused to back down & protested the upcoming judicial review against 4 legislators
banner: Withdraw the judicial review
Last edited by threesummers; 13-01-2017 at 01:22 AM.
Tam Tak-chi - aka "Fast Beat" - attacked yesterday
(People Power/D100 host)
- he was attacked in Sai Wan
- a man shouted "I recognize you !" and pushed him to the ground with both hands (Fast Beat hit his head on a taxi) and then punched & kicked him
- Fast Beat managed to grab onto the guy
- passersby stopped to help & call police
- attacker was arrested
source: D100 news update
Consensus within the pan-dem & localist camps - there will be an escalation in violence.
Last edited by threesummers; 15-01-2017 at 12:04 AM.