Like Tree1871Likes

Occupy Central Updates

Page 9 of 1212 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 17 ... LastLast

It's not as simple as just saying it is a class divide, or an age dividend, or a status divide. There are plenty of people in either camp from all walks of life. No need to try and over-simplify it.

Enderman likes this.

Quote Original Post:
    Have a mix of non professional locals and a mix of professional locals. I really don't think its a class divide (not in my very small office mind you).
    Of course, there is a question of how representative your sample is though in reflecting the bigger picture. In any case, there is a divide.

Quote Original Post:
    It's not as simple as just saying it is a class divide, or an age dividend, or a status divide. There are plenty of people in either camp from all walks of life. No need to try and over-simplify it.
    No.

There is a clear political divide here. It may incorporate elements of age and class divide, but even if those elements aren't clear, what is clear is there is a political divide. I don't understand how some can say there is no divide.

Quote Original Post:
    I don't understand how some can say there is no divide.
    Nobody is saying that?

Quote Original Post:
    Nobody is saying that?
    You implied it.

I think there is a element of age and class divide to this. Its not clear-cut like all "youngsters against mature people" or "all rich HKers are against OC", but age and class is a factor in this. Sure, you will find different ages on both sides, but it is fact the majority of the protesters are students (albeit with a large minority of older supporters too), and it is true there is a class issue here. The pro-establishment are the status quo power, they want to keep the status quo, and the students want to overturn it, clear class divide there.
    Last edited by Cho-man; 11-12-2014 at 11:41 AM.

Cho-man and threesummers like this.

TheBrit, Cho-man and threesummers like this.

shri and Cho-man like this.

Quote Original Post:
    Leaving side the usual geoexpat banter and arguments for a moment, I have a serious question.

Will there be long-term consequences for the OC participants? We know some of them are already banned from entering the mainland. Beijing could conceivably wait until the media spotlight has gone to go after the rest of the protesters and ban as many of them as they can.

Likewise, companies in HK can blacklist those who participated in the protests from being considered as candidates for their positions.

And the police could swoop in some of the protesters and arrest them afterwards. There is no statute of limitations when it comes to criminal cases after all, the police can get the protesters years from now.
    Last edited by Cho-man; 11-12-2014 at 11:59 AM.
    threesummers likes this.

Page 9 of 1212 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 17 ... LastLast