Page 1 of 1069 12349 ... LastLast
Like Tree1799Likes

Occupy Central Updates

Occupy Central Updates

Starting a new thread with this bit from SCMP.

Occupiers say no clashes planned as police prepare to clear Hong Kong protest sites | South China Morning Post

"We will sit outside the injunction area. We will stay true to the spirit of civil disobedience - remain peaceful and bear the legal consequences of our action," Chow said yesterday, a week after the federation's failed bid to blockade government headquarters. Government staff have been told not to go to the offices in Admiralty tomorrow.

The federation will ask those who have reservations about the plan to leave the site. But it wants those willing to face legal consequences for taking part in the movement to return to Admiralty tomorrow morning. The sit-in would "mark the end of this phase of the occupation", he said.
    Cho-man and threesummers like this.
    Have a GeoExpat related problem - please create a support ticket.

The protesters never plan clashes. They just get beaten up by the police for being in the area. I suspect tomorrow will be the same, hence request for gov staff to stay home. Will be a bit embarrassing for the police if they start attacking civil servants.

Looking at the SCMP online today and there is a massive drop in the number of unpleasant and nationalistically bombastic comments (somehow these are usually highly aligned).

Wonder how long the tech team can keep these thought aligning commentators at bay before orders come down to let them back in...

Last edited by East_coast; 10-12-2014 at 08:41 AM.
    Gatts and Cho-man like this.

How many times have they cleared the protest sites now?

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor
    How many times have they cleared the protest sites now?
    They have not yet cleared Harcourt Road. That is the main site since the beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast
    Looking at the SCMP online today and there is a massive drop in the number of unpleasant and nationalistically bombastic comments (somehow these are usually highly aligned).

Wonder how long the tech team can keep these thought aligning commentators at bay before orders come down to let them back in...
    So the SCMP has finally gotten wise to the acts of the wumao. I can't deny the possibility that some of those pro-establishment posts are from some legit locals who disagree with the OC movement. But judging by their shrill and over-the-top nationalistic tone, I say chances are most of it is coming from the mainland and the wumao gang. I guess Beijing must be paying over time for them, eh?
    threesummers, Mefisto and Jackie1 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cho-man
    So the SCMP has finally gotten wise to the acts of the wumao. I can't deny the possibility that some of those pro-establishment posts are from some legit locals who disagree with the OC movement. But judging by their shrill and over-the-top nationalistic tone, I say chances are most of it is coming from the mainland and the wumao gang. I guess Beijing must be paying over time for them, eh?
    Just again shows the extent how afraid they are of a free thinking HK openly criticizing the regime. The activity of wumao's on forums and comments on international news sites has increased tremendously in just the past two months.
    Cho-man, threesummers and Mefisto like this.

Leticia Lee leads march against Mong Kok ‘shopping’ protesters

So she held a protest group in Mongkok to protest against protest groups in Mongkok.

I think this is filed under irony
    Leticia Lee See-yin, leader of the “Blue Ribbon” group and the convenor of the pro-Beijing Justice Alliance, led dozens of people in an anti-Occupy rally in Mong Kok late Monday, complaining about disruptions caused to businesses and local residents due to street gatherings in the shopping district
    Reporters noticed that many shops opted to close down fearing confrontations between Lee’s group and Occupy supporters.
    shri, 100LL, threesummers and 4 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatts
    Just again shows the extent how afraid they are of a free thinking HK openly criticizing the regime. The activity of wumao's on forums and comments on international news sites has increased tremendously in just the past two months.
    Yeah I think free expression and shaping one's opinion by persuasion is something they can't wrap their heads around.

Democratic Party needs new young blood:

Au Nok-hin says Democratic Party needs more young blood | South China Morning Post

The Democratic Party needs more young blood to gain vital support from the city's youth, says a 27-year-old challenging for chairmanship of the party.
    "The new generation has taken the lead in the 'umbrella movement'. If no one like me comes forward after all this, I'll feel we owe the next generation," said Au Nok-hin, explaining why he was running for the post, even though he has a slim chance of winning the vote on Sunday.

threesummers and Skyhook like this.

Page 1 of 1069 12349 ... LastLast