Like Tree11Likes

Report on the Recent Community and Political Situation in Hong Kong

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Report on the Recent Community and Political Situation in Hong Kong

Last edited by threesummers; 06-01-2015 at 01:46 PM.

Last edited by threesummers; 06-01-2015 at 01:52 PM.

Last edited by threesummers; 06-01-2015 at 01:56 PM.

Last edited by threesummers; 06-01-2015 at 02:27 PM.

David Smith
    Quote Originally Posted by threesummers:

Good point. The police asking protesters to let in an ambulance to the CGO and then very publicly rushing in firearms and ammunition, was one of the most shameful and dishonest episodes.

David Smith
    RTHK English News

I can't quite believe I am reading this and am wondering if I misunderstood, or if it is mis-reported.

But the consultation will not cover the composition of the nominating committee.
    If that really is true it just goes to show the government and pro-establishment camp was full of lies when they said there was plenty of room for discussion, improvement and 'wiggle room' in the second round consultation. It also suggests all of Global123s arguments were dead on arrival, as not only is improving Legco ruled out (we knew that already), but the government seems to have shut the door on improving the nomination committee as well.

It is understood that the government would not rule out a so-called "blank vote" proposal recently put forward by law professor Alan Chen.
    This was an interesting idea and I am surprised how much traction it has got. I can't see Beijing allowing it because it would lead to a constitutional crisis if the HK public repeatedly vetoed every candidate they were presented with.

The other idea put forward by Alan Chen was to have the committee approve lists rather than individual candidates, with the proposal that each list should include a democratic candidate as well as one or two pro-BJ candidates. I think that one is worth looking into, as it would in principle allow both parties to get most of what they want (BJ to veto unacceptable candidates and democrats to field one candidate). Worth looking into I think, although not sure if it could work in practice.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast