Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree17Likes

Giving up the HK passport

I don't think giving up Chinese nationality will add a layer of security, so rather stay put.

If they really want to take you they will regardless what passport you hold or they will arrest you on charges that will suprise the fook out of you.

Just try and NOT be the person that they want.

Quote Originally Posted by cookie09
    PRC Foreign Minister Wang saying that “the missing bookseller was first and foremost a Chinese citizen" and “other countries had "no right to interfere"
    What he meant was that the bookseller was ethnic Chinese (Hanzu) - not that he had two passports.

Quote Originally Posted by Elefant&Castle
    What he meant was that the bookseller was ethnic Chinese (Hanzu) - not that he had two passports.
    Or any of the other 54, if you were born Chinese, that's it, end of story

It is important to understand the different cultural meanings of ethnic belonging-ness. Chinese government embraces all ethnic Chinese as their own (legal citizen or not) and the older generation ethnic Chinese share this sense of belonging-ness. I understand that there is similar sentiment among Jews that if you are ethnically Jewish, you belong to the same bigger Jewish family (no matter what nationality). I would invite our Geoexpat editor to encourage this kind of cross-cultural exchanges--rather than shut them down which has happened to me and other posters too often.

Quote Originally Posted by littlemermaid
    Many HKers hold two passports, so I don't see why anyone needs to give up HK passport? Just use whichever passport that suits the situation? Or did I miss something?

Apart from visa requirements, the passport you use when you travel determines which country saves your rear end if you find yourself in a bad situation. China might haul me out of an earthquake zone by helicopter, who knows.
    it_guy likes this.

That's what I thought. I always think the more the better LOL

Quote Originally Posted by mikebravo
    Apart from visa requirements, the passport you use when you travel determines which country saves your rear end if you find yourself in a bad situation. China might haul me out of an earthquake zone by helicopter, who knows.
    it_guy likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2