Like Tree28Likes

Giving up the HK passport

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by it_guy
    Little bit of both, I loathe the IRS. They like to send me letters 3-5 years after a given tax year stating that they want more money. Seriously thing about getting an alternate passport by descent from somewhere in the EU and renouncing citizenship.
    Several times the IRS sent me payment notices by snail mail via DHL post so the letter would get to me via Germany Deutsch Post about 3 weeks after the payment deadline. So for a $300 interest fee I now pay a late fee on top of that. I end up just sending them a bank draft for 2x whatever it is to avoid paying more penalties. You need to experience it to know what I am talking about. Now you can’t even call the IRS. You need to do it over the website but we can’t log in because we do not live in the US. We are supposed to communicate any IRS issues via consular services but the people there don’t know what’s going on and cannot access your file so it is all a waste of time. Two beers and you can’t shut me up!
    jgl, it_guy and Morrison like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jonastainine
    I know this was meant to be a joke but trust me you really nailed it. As an American citizen your basic rights such as presumed innocence do not apply when in a dispute with the Treasury Department. The country’s ability to raise revenue is paramount to your rights. I worked at a federal appeals court in Washington as a law student and reviewed a lot of these cases and the government always win.
    Did not know they moved
    it_guy likes this.

The IRS knows where I live and they just like @JonasTanine said the notices arrive after payment due date and they wont ship the letter to enable online access to a foreign address. It makes absolutely no sense. All the while we have to make sure we spend no more than 35 days, including travel days in the US in a 365 day period or we loose out foreign earned income exemption which can kick you tax bill up another 15k USD or so.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3