Like Tree28Likes

Giving up the HK passport

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Giving up the HK passport

Given that I have jet-lag (i.e cant sleep) and PRC Foreign Minister Wang saying that the missing bookseller was first and foremost a Chinese citizen" and other countries had "no right to interfere", heres thought:

My wife and kids hold dual passports (HK and my country) while I hold a passport of my country only. My country is giving me visa-free access to almost anywhere, has an essentially free schooling/university system, essentially free health care system, is stable, has a healthy environment, etc i.e. its a pretty good passport to have if you have only one.

So I am thinking about what happens if my wife and kids give up their HK passports. Aspects considered:

HK Residency: What happens to their residency status if we give up the HK passport? I assume it will be converted into a permanent residency? Is there any impact on my wife or my kids today or in the future to work or live in Hong Kong?

Schooling: Our kids attend international schools now and we dont rely or intend to send our kids to local high-schools/universities. Should be no impact?

Taxes: My country runs a territorial tax system. No impact?

Property in HK: We own a place here, but I cant see any impact if we retain the permanent residency. Any issues to buy, sell, rent, rent out?

Traveling: No impact except to China where the whole family now needs a visa (does not seem a major issue to me)

Health Care: We plan to have a private insurance for the rest if our lives and my country offers an essentially free health care system as a fall back option

Retirement: HK will likely be one of 2-3 places where we will rotate to live in. However we could skip HK if needed for above reasons (or will likely do so once we cannot travel anymore)

Am i missing or wrongly assessing anything?

Last edited by cookie09; 09-01-2016 at 03:13 AM.

Yes you're being paranoid

Your kids won't be able to become CE of HK anymore

No change except visa to China.
    Your wife and kids will become non-Chinese PR and have to visit HK at least once every 3 years or have the PR downgraded to RTL.

I don't see why you should keep the passport, no real advantages over just PR.

cookie09 and hannah01 like this.

The obvious answer is optionality. Nobody knows what the world will look like in a decade or three from now. Generally I think more options are always going to be better than fewer.

I don't really know how things worked at the time, but would a dual East German and one other country citizen think there was much downside to surrendering the East German passport in the mid eighties? Fast forward a decade and they would be full German citizens with right to live and work anywhere in the EU... Would be annoying to have forfeited that.

The CCP might not be in power when your kids are adults, and China might be a more attractive place to live than now. Not beyond the realms of possiblity I feel.

cookie09 and Lord Dashwood like this.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit
    The obvious answer is optionality. Nobody knows what the world will look like in a decade or three from now. Generally I think more options are always going to be better than fewer.

I don't really know how things worked at the time, but would a dual East German and one other country citizen think there was much downside to surrendering the East German passport in the mid eighties? Fast forward a decade and they would be full German citizens with right to live and work anywhere in the EU... Would be annoying to have forfeited that.

The CCP might not be in power when your kids are adults, and China might be a more attractive place to live than now. Not beyond the realms of possiblity I feel.
    it's a fair point so maybe let's ask a further question: once i give up the HK passport, can i reapply for it ever again?

the CCP will come and get you no matter what passport you hold. same goes for the CIA and KGB.

Quote Originally Posted by dumbdonkey
    the CCP will come and get you no matter what passport you hold. same goes for the CIA and KGB.
    Amen to that. You should also add the IRS to that list, they are scarier than the CCP, CIA and KGB all put together

Many HKers hold two passports, so I don't see why anyone needs to give up HK passport? Just use whichever passport that suits the situation? Or did I miss something?

My guess is that OP is worried about the reach of the PRC and holding a HK passport would make it harder for the other nation in which his wife and kids hold citizenship to help out if detained by PRC. That is why US warns it's citizens against holding dual citizenship.

Quote Originally Posted by cookie09
    Given that I have jet-lag (i.e cant sleep) and PRC Foreign Minister Wang saying that the missing bookseller was first and foremost a Chinese citizen" and other countries had "no right to interfere", heres thought:

My wife and kids hold dual passports (HK and my country) while I hold a passport of my country only. My country is giving me visa-free access to almost anywhere, has an essentially free schooling/university system, essentially free health care system, is stable, has a healthy environment, etc i.e. its a pretty good passport to have if you have only one.

So I am thinking about what happens if my wife and kids give up their HK passports. Aspects considered:

HK Residency: What happens to their residency status if we give up the HK passport? I assume it will be converted into a permanent residency? Is there any impact on my wife or my kids today or in the future to work or live in Hong Kong?

Schooling: Our kids attend international schools now and we dont rely or intend to send our kids to local high-schools/universities. Should be no impact?

Taxes: My country runs a territorial tax system. No impact?

Property in HK: We own a place here, but I cant see any impact if we retain the permanent residency. Any issues to buy, sell, rent, rent out?

Traveling: No impact except to China where the whole family now needs a visa (does not seem a major issue to me)

Health Care: We plan to have a private insurance for the rest if our lives and my country offers an essentially free health care system as a fall back option

Retirement: HK will likely be one of 2-3 places where we will rotate to live in. However we could skip HK if needed for above reasons (or will likely do so once we cannot travel anymore)

Am i missing or wrongly assessing anything?
    Once you give it up, and you would need to make legal declarations, change ID, etc., there is no easy return because they would make it hard for you. For Americans who give it up, the main reason is to get away from world-wide income taxation. Yours is more for political and personal security reason perhaps. If your HK passport is so repulsive and there is zero allegience from what we can tell, give it up. But there maybe downsides that nobody can fully calculate.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast