Like Tree43Likes

Ken Tsang convicted

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

As the magistrate observed, Tsang showed no remorse throughout the trial. In fact, Tsang clearly delighted in the show being put on and the high turnout of supporters each time he appeared in court. He even thanked his supporters for making him feel “strong and powerful” after the trial. Some people seem to confuse having many supporters for being in the right.

The fact that Tsang was filmed being beaten after his arrest, allegedly by a group of police officers, does not excuse his prior assaults against the police. The trial has started for the seven officers alleged to have beaten him. If convicted, they deserve to be severely punished.

But their guilt, even if proven in a court of law, does not make Tsang innocent.
    I some how find myself agreeing with Alex Lo in the SCMP.

Quote Originally Posted by Viktri:
    The sentencing seems quite light given what transpired. I assume that this is because the judge felt that Ken Tsang suffered sufficiently vis a vis the cop beating.

If some random dude deliberately poured water/other substances on me or my family with the intention to piss me off, I honestly think that my patience would be extremely tested and I would want a significantly long sentence - a few months at minimum. A few weeks worth of punishment for something so awful is something that could easily be commercialized in the future.

Who wants to walk around a city where people aren't charged for dumping substances onto them?

edit: just read the article - for other offenders their sentencing would likely be much higher so I'm satisfied with the verdict.
    I find a few weeks as well to be quite lenient in hong kong, but in general I find it quite harsh to be sent to jail for just pouring some water/other substance on someone.

Last edited by threesummers; 21-03-2017 at 06:36 AM.
    shri likes this.

Ken Tsang in Pik Uk prison

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...5016540&type=3

Legislator Shiu Ka-chun (one of the Umbrella Movement 9) went to visit Ken Tsang yesterday.

Ken wanted everyone to know that he is fine, not to worry & that he has no regrets about participating in the Umbrella Movement.  He'll see everyone when he gets out on Apr 20th.

Some observations:

1)  Ken has shaved his beard & wears glasses.  He's in good spirits.  Every day he does push-ups to keep fit.

2) Every day he watches television & reads the paper.  He's very concerned about developments in the movement, including the Umbrella Movement 9.

3) His prison mates frequently seek him out to talk about injustice.

4) Ken didn't apply for separate confinement.  He lives with 17 other prisoners of various nationalities.  They get along very well.

5) He does carpentry & in his spare time, reads.

6) He voted in the CE election.

In the comments -

Shiu Ka-chun asked Ken if he was the one who wrote "fxxk" on that CE ballot. Ken replied in the negative. Someone else commented that that wouldn't have been in line with his character.

Last edited by threesummers; 04-04-2017 at 07:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by threesummers:
    That was quick. And good that he got it out of the way!
    threesummers likes this.