Like Tree43Likes

Ken Tsang convicted

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast
    According to Tanya Chan who was at the court the judge never mentioned urine.
    Will respond to this by PM with my thoughts.

District courts have secret passageways? How very Bond.

The sentencing seems quite light given what transpired. I assume that this is because the judge felt that Ken Tsang suffered sufficiently vis a vis the cop beating.

If some random dude deliberately poured water/other substances on me or my family with the intention to piss me off, I honestly think that my patience would be extremely tested and I would want a significantly long sentence - a few months at minimum. A few weeks worth of punishment for something so awful is something that could easily be commercialized in the future.

Who wants to walk around a city where people aren't charged for dumping substances onto them?

edit: just read the article - for other offenders their sentencing would likely be much higher so I'm satisfied with the verdict.

Last edited by Viktri; 01-06-2016 at 09:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by shri
    District courts have secret passageways? How very Bond.
    Some hotel meeting rooms have secret passageways so that angry shareholders can't mob/assault directors of listed companies.
    shri likes this.

As the magistrate observed, Tsang showed no remorse throughout the trial. In fact, Tsang clearly delighted in the show being put on and the high turnout of supporters each time he appeared in court. He even thanked his supporters for making him feel strong and powerful after the trial. Some people seem to confuse having many supporters for being in the right.

The fact that Tsang was filmed being beaten after his arrest, allegedly by a group of police officers, does not excuse his prior assaults against the police. The trial has started for the seven officers alleged to have beaten him. If convicted, they deserve to be severely punished.

But their guilt, even if proven in a court of law, does not make Tsang innocent.
    I some how find myself agreeing with Alex Lo in the SCMP.

Quote Originally Posted by Viktri
    The sentencing seems quite light given what transpired. I assume that this is because the judge felt that Ken Tsang suffered sufficiently vis a vis the cop beating.

If some random dude deliberately poured water/other substances on me or my family with the intention to piss me off, I honestly think that my patience would be extremely tested and I would want a significantly long sentence - a few months at minimum. A few weeks worth of punishment for something so awful is something that could easily be commercialized in the future.

Who wants to walk around a city where people aren't charged for dumping substances onto them?

edit: just read the article - for other offenders their sentencing would likely be much higher so I'm satisfied with the verdict.
    I find a few weeks as well to be quite lenient in hong kong, but in general I find it quite harsh to be sent to jail for just pouring some water/other substance on someone.

Quote Originally Posted by pin
    Is it really a naive view?

Have you proof of the judiciary being politically motivated / manipulated? Or are you basing this on speculation?
    Hong Kong courts face unprecedented social and political challenges, says citys chief justice | South China Morning Post

Last edited by threesummers; 21-03-2017 at 06:36 AM.
    shri likes this.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast