Like Tree7Likes

Retiring in Asia?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Retiring in Asia?

Anyone thinking of retiring in HK or indeed another country in Asia?
    Where would your money go the furthest?

anyone learning an asian language to give them a head start when retirement comes?

Quote Originally Posted by arshavanpersie:

anyone learning an asian language to give them a head start when retirement comes?
    i) Yep, Philippines
    ii) Philippines is pretty cheap
    iii) Yep.

1. 50/50:ie one property in europe, one in asia and a few months per year in each location (but I am only 32...........)

2. Macao (if it does not change too much - cross fingers) or Vietnam

3. yes - cantonese.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    1. 50/50:ie one property in europe, one in asia and a few months per year in each location (but I am only 32...........)

2. Macao (if it does not change too much - cross fingers) or Vietnam

3. yes - cantonese.
    Yep, a home in france and home in hong kong would be just dandy

Quote Originally Posted by limepickle:
    Yep, a home in france and home in hong kong would be just dandy
    A house in south of france preferrably ;-)

I have always prefered Macao over HK hence my choice of Macao. Macao lacks the outdoor space that HK has but I like the overall chilled out atmosphere, the conveniency (HK is covenient compare to say London but in Macao everything is within 15 mn reach) and if you really need the big city, you just hop on a ferry and zouuuu to HK.

Of course this is now and in 25 years when I retire, lots will have changed by then....

It will depend on family situation etc, but I think being able to spend half a year in a warm country such as Thailand, Vietnam or Philippines would be decent for an old crook.

Quote Originally Posted by arshavanpersie:

HK will be the last place I'll retire. I dont mind visiting HK once or twice a year when I retire.

If it is in Asia, it'll be Thailand or Vietnam.

I dont want to learn anything for my retirement. I'm retired!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    A house in south of france preferrably ;-)

I have always prefered Macao over HK hence my choice of Macao. Macao lacks the outdoor space that HK has but I like the overall chilled out atmosphere, the conveniency (HK is covenient compare to say London but in Macao everything is within 15 mn reach) and if you really need the big city, you just hop on a ferry and zouuuu to HK.

Of course this is now and in 25 years when I retire, lots will have changed by then....
    My folks retired to a place in Poitou-Charentes. They bought a small house in a tiny, beautiful, village, which they want me to buy from them when their savings run out to avoid the messy French inheritance laws. So I'm accumulating euros!

My wife would likely put the kybosh on Macau as she hates gambling and I have no will power! I think she wants to go to Sing ...

I guess, I'll never retire. It'd be so boring to have no motivation to get out of bed, day in and day out, except for few odd things that one can do (like golf, if can afford or play chess with another retired friend). I'd hate that. I some times hate weekends, as they make me quite lazy (though I try hard to do some sports but still). If I have every day like that, I'd die or go berserk, senile at the least.

I'm pretty much retired here in Hong Kong. I like the mix of compact city where most things work pretty well, the superb public transport, the ability to live (eat, drink, buy clothes, etc) as cheaply as is possible almost anywhere in the world, but also at some of the finest places if you wish, and particularly the great hiking that is so easily accessible just minutes away.

The other big advantage for retirees is that there is no tax on investment income which means that you need a substantially smaller pot of money for the same net income than you would in almost any other place.

I considered The Philippines, but the whole society is so utterly broken and corrupt that it's not somewhere I'd be comfortable, and outside Manila the lifestyle is, perforce, pretty basic.

Last edited by PDLM; 06-07-2010 at 04:14 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast