Retiring to Hong Kong

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Retiring to Hong Kong

I was born in Hong Kong during the 1950s and immgrated to the USA with my family in the 1960s.

I am planning to retire and reside in Hong Kong permanently in the foreseeable future. Can someone shed some lights as to how do I go about applying for such a permanent residency visa? I do have in my possession, a certified Hong Kong birth certificate. Am I required to apply in person while in Hong Kong or can this be done in advance by mail from the USA?

How much does one expect to pay for the purchase of a 2 bedroom apt. (600-800 sq ft.) in HK somewhere in North Point or Causeway Bay? Housing market in the USA has gone for a dive in the past couple of years; how is the (housing) market currently in HK?

You info will be much appreciated.

>> how is the (housing) market currently in HK

Still up .. as of this morning.

We'd need a bit more info to be able to give advice on the visa issue. Were your parent Chinese citizens or HK Permanent Residents at the time of your birth? How long did you reside in HK from your birth until you left?

Alternatively, email [email protected] and they will be able to help you.

If you were born in HK then you have the right of abode in HK as long as you can provide your birth certificate. You will probably have to do this in person. As for cost of an apartment in NP and CWB, it really depends on the condition, age, amentities, etc of the building. It can go anywhere from $2 - $10 mil HKD. check this out Hong Kong Property and Apartment, for Rent and for Sale - Hong Kong Realty

Tx!

Thank you all for your kind replies.

Yes, when I was born both my parents were permanent residents of Hong Kong. We all had our own HKID cards but mine was for a minor.

I will look into the "link" that you provided me to see for myself what the prices are is in NP and CWB. May be it is wiser for me to wait for the US housing market to rebound before disposing of my house here which has lost 1/2 of its value in 2 years.

There are so many advantages living in HK for an older person. To start with, I'll be so glad to get rid of all my vehicles. No more car insurance, no more car maintenance expenses, no more expensive gas. That alone will probably save me over $1000 USD a month. Most Americans look at cars as a necessity and a pain, while HK people can't wait to buy one. With all the readily available public transportation in HK why would anyone want to own a car in such a congested environment?

I'm born in HK also and I left went to the US when I was 7. I didn't have a HK PIC. If you are not in a hurry and are not going to HK soon, you can apply for a HK ID at one of China's Embassy at DC, Chicago, Houston, LA, NYC, and San Fran.

Are you born in a hospital or nursing home? If so, that is the only way to get a cerified birth certificate that HK will acknowledge as legitimitate. If you are born at home by a midwife or something and is certificate by the midwife might not be as concrete proof as a certified birth certificate. If not, it might be harder for you to apply for one.

For me, I had to apply for a passport as well as for a HK PIC. I needed about $90 in fees and 5 self portraits to start in initial application process, and this can only be done in person. Afterwards, they mailed me a letter requesting more documentation including a copy of my HK birth certificate, my US naturalization certificate, copy of my us passport, documentation of when I permanently left HK and other things. Afterwards, they might or might not ask for more documentation from you (they only request for copies and not originals) and this is done by mail.

The thing is that if you have more documentation of who you are like a copy of your expired green card, school records, etc... might make the process faster. For me, I applied for my HK PIC and passport as you can't just apply for just the HK PIC alone and I started this January and it is still going because there's some discrepency on my US passport that I am trying to straighten out. Hopefully, they got everything and I will have to go the Chinese Embassy one more time to get my picture taken for my passport and HK PIC...

Like I have mentioned, if you have the patience and will not be going to HK soon, you can apply by mail, but you will have to go to the Embassy to submit the application and to pick up your passport and it will take months. Otherwise, if you are visiting HK soon, you can go to Wanchai to apply and it will be much quicker and you don't have to apply for a HK passport also. Good luck.

Last edited by pug_ster; 13-05-2008 at 11:40 PM.

Dual nationality

For me, I had to apply for a passport as well as for a HK PIC. I needed about $90 in fees and 5 self portraits to start in initial application process, and this can only be done in person. Afterwards, they mailed me a letter requesting more documentation including a copy of my HK birth certificate, my US naturalization certificate, copy of my us passport, documentation of when I permanently left HK and other things. Afterwards, they might or might not ask for more documentation from you (they only request for copies and not originals) and this is done by mail.

I am a little puzzled as to why you would want to apply for a "Chinese" passport while you are already a US passport holder? Do you understand by doing that you may lose your US citizenship for good? US does not allow dual citizenship.

Furthermore, when I became (US) citizen 36 years ago, I was warned that if within 10 years of naturalization, I decided to move to another country (even to my birth place) for a prolonged period of time, I might lose my citizenship also. The reason was that when we signed the naturalization application, we promised to stay in the USA and NOT reside anywhere else. Because of that INS provision, several of my friends who were engineers, forced to turned down many prospective lucrative overseas (e.g. Saudi Arabia, Dubai, Kawait) assignments. However, I have been a US citizen for over 32 years (way past the 10 year limit) since the day I was sworn in, I think I can now "safely" retire back to my place of birth.

If I were you, I would check with the INS prior to making any more commitments about applying for a "Chinese" passport. You are really taking a chance which you may regret.

After reading all the hassle that you have gone thru with the US consulate, I think I'll wait to submit my HKID application when I am in Hong Kong next time.

I do have my (certified) Hong Kong birth certificate but I must have misplaced my HKID (for minors) which was issued in the early 1960's.

Quote Originally Posted by thomasjpak:
    US does not allow dual citizenship.

Furthermore, when I became (US) citizen 36 years ago...
    The rules have changed since you did it. The US is perfectly OK with dual citizenship now.

Oh wow, I must keep up with the latest INS rules and regulations.

Let me check out the INS website.

TX!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast