Like Tree63Likes

Where will you retire.?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Original Post Deleted
    Yes. The big cities are already seriously expensive though.

On the other hand, I had a lad working for me in the UK who was from Tolmicko on Poland's north coast...you can still buy very nice houses for less than 100k sterling.

Estonia is interesting as well...

All options are open...I'm trying to nail down that elusive passive income...I'd like to do more bumbling about...cycling, travelling...I'd like to slow things down...

I'm starting to look now. I don't want my sons to go to secondary school here so we're about two or three years away.

I can't afford both so won't keep a place here...might keep an office depending on business...I hope not though.

One good thing about living here for so long, I could be quite satisfied with a 'little' cottage in Europe now!!
    Skyhook likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    I found paradise on Lake Como, Italy. Looking forward to retirement.
    For me, paradise is freedom. I love my job, but what I really want to in the mornings is go for a long hike with my wife. In the afternoon I'd like to ride my bike and hang out with my sons...work is starting to piss me off actually!

Looking for a way out of that!!! HK is not the place for relaxing though.
    Skyhook and rani like this.

Yes..need to strike a balance.
    A low maintenance property and passive income of some thought. I would steer clear of any one trying to manage your money as it is hard enough to earn. Managed investments sound all cosy and safe but at the end of the day it is controlled by a corporate structure. Best to control things yourself at retirement stage and this way you might not earn the glossy returns, but at least you will have less chance of it being manipulated by others in schemes and fancy structures. At retirement....you cannot afford to lose what you have .
    Best bet is 1 or 2 investment properties in good areas that just tick over .

I love Annecy. I first went there as a teenager visiting my school exchange partner and have spent many happy holidays there since. Cold in winter though....

Skyhook likes this.

Amsterdam
    Melbourne
    San Diego

Skyhook likes this.

Still some ways away but I'd probably go for Scotland.

Still a long way to go. I'm hoping that HK is still a nice place to live and that even the air-pollution problem has been cleaned up by then. So HK as a base and then spending summers in Europe with focus on the northern parts (since global warming probably made the southern parts unpleasant).

yet despite all of these "dreams" most of us will simply end up in/close to the country they started their life in.

Simply because "family" will be there and because at 70/75 years old...learning Estonian is not necessarily on your list of priorities.

I personally envisage two more postings work wise (sthg like NYC, Tokyo, Singapore or Sydney) but retirement will likely be some place familiar like France/HK-Macau. (or a combination of the two...until I am able to physically travel)

shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Scousebanana:
    I love Annecy. I first went there as a teenager visiting my school exchange partner and have spent many happy holidays there since. Cold in winter though....
    If you are into sports, go to Chamonix. Mecca for all mountain sports from climbing to trail running to paragliding etc etc. Fucking expensive though. Looked at buying sthg there 2/3 years ago and WTF.

That said Annecy is nice too and you get the lake.

Could be on my list of retirement place...and I would spend the winters in Asia.

Of course you could retire in your "home country" of which you hold your passport. However, there are quite a number of countries willing to hand out special long term visa for what they consider "wealthy retirees". Depending on the county is it easier/complicated to meet the requirements. In Asia have countries such a the Philippines, Thailand and Malaysia such programs. I've heard that several Middle American countries also have similar programs.