Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree13Likes

Is the UK better than HK for a retired 60 years old?

Let's see how Breexit will affect the elderly in the UK and then compare UK with others again.

Quote Originally Posted by lighthse003
    Let's see how Breexit will affect the elderly in the UK and then compare UK with others again.

Exactly. The parents and I are waiting for it to conclude but the drama seems to have a never ending episodes.

Apart from the medical issues which have already been discussed, they should think about where they have the best social circle – living in a place where you have few friends and a limited social life would be a non-starter for me.

Then there's the question of taxes - punitively high in Australia and the UK and more reasonable in Hong Kong.

Zero Gravitas and hannah01 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by traineeinvestor
    Apart from the medical issues which have already been discussed, they should think about where they have the best social circle – living in a place where you have few friends and a limited social life would be a non-starter for me.

Then there's the question of taxes - punitively high in Australia and the UK and more reasonable in Hong Kong.
    When most of us moved to Hong Kong we had no friends or family there. Did you?

The tax level really depends on their pension level.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile
    When most of us moved to Hong Kong we had no friends or family there. Did you?
    A couple but since I was only intending to stay one or two years on my way through to the UK to do postgrad, it wasn't a relevant consideration for me at the time. At this stage of my life, I'd think long and hard about giving up my current social life to go and live somewhere where I don't know anyone.
    shri and z754103 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile

The tax level really depends on their pension level.
    Fair point - I suppose it depends on source and level of income. For those, like me, who have no pension and who rely on interest etc from our savings, tax rates are more of an issue (especially capital gains taxes). Then there's the odious question of inheritance taxes if you are over whatever threshold applies.
    z754103 likes this.

Go to live in England??

And try to avoid being stabbed to death by thugs?

Over my dead body!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GreenCatalonia

Go to live in England??

Over my dead body!!!

Yes because the chances of being stabbed to death are so high . About the same as winning the lottery I guess even more if you just consider pensioners. If you stay in Hong Kong someone will pour acid on you don't you know or you will be arrested for protesting.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenCatalonia

Go to live in England??

Over my dead body!!!

Bit extreme, but yes I get your point. I would definitely feel safer in HK than UK. They are more likely to try and scam pensioners in HK rather than mugging them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2