Like Tree118Likes

Pensions decimated

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast

Pensions decimated

If you see a lowly expat shuffling down a road with a begging bowl, have a heart.

The dive of the GBP against the USD and thus the HKD is destroying any UK pension. Mine is decimated. 3 months ago it got to 10.52 and today is 8.52. The USD at 1.09 heading down.

The HKG voucher money will help thank God but definitely have to leave if no respite to take advantage on GBP going the other way.

Quote Originally Posted by David4Maths:
    If you see a lowly expat shuffling down a road with a begging bowl, have a heart.

The dive of the GBP against the USD and thus the HKD is destroying any UK pension. Mine is decimated. 3 months ago it got to 10.52 and today is 8.52. The USD at 1.09 heading down.

The HKG voucher money will help thank God but definitely have to leave if no respite to take advantage on GBP going the other way.
    Reaganomics plus competitive devaluation = Trussnomics

Quote Originally Posted by David4Maths:

Any sensible pension will be heavily invested in US stocks which will tidily insulate you from the current problems. You might actually be *better* off if you visit Blighty...

Mostly everything, except the USD/HKD, is being decimated.

Been here 7 years and my MPF, which includes TVC contributions, is now negative. My portfolio back home is in shambles (and yes that includes US stocks and ETFs). And yet inflation is running rampant. Retirement is feeling like a dream now.

Just wait it out, same as every other recession. Everyone is being screwed one way or another

I get USD and do mental accounting in Euro.
    No complaints.

qhank and Gollygordon like this.

Quote Originally Posted by aw451:
    Just wait it out, same as every other recession. Everyone is being screwed one way or another
    I have been waiting for Sterling to rally all my life.
    Morrison, Mcdavid, vmlinuz and 4 others like this.

"Buy when there is blood in the streets, even if it's your own."

Cheeky Kiwi and Andy SNK like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Crankshaft:
    On the upside I have profited 600k HKD equivalent on the house if I sold into GBP. However they don't take that sort of cash at the supermarket.

Quote Originally Posted by Crankshaft:
    You probably have never seen blood in the streets.
    Mcdavid likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast