Like Tree3Likes

Companies Registry - "Adherence to Basic Law" requirement for Demosito

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Companies Registry - "Adherence to Basic Law" requirement for Demosito

Undue caution? Joshua Wong blasts Hong Kong officials over hold-ups in Demosisto party registration and mailings | South China Morning Post

Companies Registry has asked Demosisto to explain if it adheres to the Basic Law in pushing for Hong Kong’s “self-determination” as the party tries to register as a company, the party’s secretary general Joshua Wong Chi-fung revealed on Thursday morning.
    This must be new as well, I was not asked this when I registered a company a while back.

Not just the companies registry, HK Post too.

He said Hongkong Post sought legal advice from the justice department regarding Law’s campaign pamphlets mentioning phrases such as “self-determination” before agreeing to mail them to 600,000 voters in the constituency.

“You could say it was too sensitive to mention ‘self-determination’, but Hongkong Post told us it was even seeking legal advice on phrases such as ‘civil referendum’, ‘determine our future’, and it being ‘difficult for Hong Kong to be autonomous under China’s economic pressure,” Wong said.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Not just the companies registry, HK Post too.
    Yeah, I saw that as well but the fact they are making trouble when trying to register a company i find more despicable. With the flyers there is the flyers that explicitly or implicitly state a certain political view. Had they written on the flyers just something about how they love the basic law and lufsig is the best, there probably would not have been a problem.

But the company registration shows their names have been black listed somehow. The registration form(for limited company at least) does not have any question about the activities of the company itself. There is just some fields you need to fill out about how many shares they issue, who is first directors etc. So basically, someone at the companies registry got a "red flag" on their computer when they were pressing in the information in their system because one of the directors happens to be Joshua Wong or whoever. What if Mr Joshua wants to start a tea shop, there seems to be a real possibility that his registration of the tea shop company would be denied because whoever works at the companies registry disagrees with him.

This is just staggering. Why is nobody taking them (HK Post etc) to court for discrimination or something? Why should any individual in HK, or any company, not hold whatever views it likes? The restriction is only on becoming a politician, not an individual!

Gatts and Paxbritannia like this.

Yeah, I saw that as well but the fact they are making trouble when trying to register a company i find more despicable.
    Don't worry, soon the Heritage foundation or whatever it is that gives out free economy awards will give HK the title and all will be forgotten.
    Mefisto likes this.

@henkka - there might be something in the societies ordinance which is being used. Not 100% sure if it is the CR which has the authority to block their registration. Having said that, until a few days ago I thought the EA was one of the fair govt bodies.

I'm not sure if I trust what is being printed. What is to stop Joshua Wong / Nathan Law from publishing the correspondence received from the CR?

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    @henkka - there might be something in the societies ordinance which is being used. Not 100% sure if it is the CR which has the authority to block their registration. Having said that, until a few days ago I thought the EA was one of the fair govt bodies.

I'm not sure if I trust what is being printed. What is to stop Joshua Wong / Nathan Law from publishing the correspondence received from the CR?
    You are right, it could be that the print is not 100% correct.

But, I dont think they can use the societies ordinance, that only applies to societies which would not be registed at the CR anyway. According to About Registration of a Society | Hong Kong Police Force the police handles the registration of societies.

True - Forgot about the police handling societies.

What makes this interesting is that it shows much effort Beijing is putting into this to have such a concerted effort in throwing roadblocks into the way wherever they can. Just imagine what it takes to create these obstacles in the bureaucracy, this is very well planned.
    However the irony is that it probably doesn't make a real difference as long as they don't outright abolish the rule of law

Quote Originally Posted by cookie09:
    What makes this interesting is that it shows much effort Beijing is putting into this to have such a concerted effort in throwing roadblocks into the way wherever they can. Just imagine what it takes to create these obstacles in the bureaucracy, this is very well planned.
    However the irony is that it probably doesn't make a real difference as long as they don't outright abolish the rule of law
    I wonder if it even is counter productive, people have a tendency to push back even harder when you piss them off. So, it makes one wonder, why do it ? I would guess because many career oriented lemmings in the HK government or the liason office do not want to be seen as soft on separatists, and I suspect many HK raised bureaucrats know it is counter productive but it does not matter because not using a sledgehammer on them can be detrimental to your career.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast