Like Tree36Likes

2018 Legco By-(s)election discussion...

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    Again,

I can see no provision in the law to exclude the potential candidate. Can you?
    https://www.hongkongfp.com/2016/04/1...-independence/

“It is time to fight for our self-determination,” Wong told a press conference at which the party — whose key policy is to push for a referendum — was launched.

Independence should be one of the options inside the self-determination referendum,” he said, adding he hopes it could happen in 10 years’ time.

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    You have missed "From my point of view" from Joshua Wong.

1) I see no reference that was the official party line
    2) The official Demisisto party line was against independence

What law does a comment break? Is there any evidence Ms Chow would not up-hold the Basic Law?

Again not being able to advocate changes to the Basic Law is a strange concept. A constitution that can't change and evolve is a bad idea - do you agree? Otherwise there would be no more interpretations?

It seems that unless they are changes initiated by the executive branch then proposing changes are illegal.

A Heads I win, Tails you lose scenario.
    Gatts likes this.

The executive branch of of Government have a pretty good track record of writing bad laws.

Opposition to controversial national security law could become new reason for Legco election ban, Beijing adviser says | South China Morning Post

Will objecting to a badly written law now stop you from being on the ballot paper?

It just gets worse under Carrie Lam

Gatts likes this.

Election ban rules ‘very clear’, Carrie Lam insists, but says government will ‘seriously consider’ clarifying them if needed | South China Morning Post

Its all OK no one understand the new ever moving group think election rules but Carrie Lam does. That's a relief. She can decide who gets into Legco rather than the voting public

If you weren't sure the below explains fully

“Up to this moment, the law is very clear, and we will act in accordance with the law insofar as deciding by the returning officer whether a candidate is eligible to become a qualified candidate in an election.”
    Mefisto likes this.

Mr Justice Thomas Au Hing-cheung

One of only two Judges I know the name of.

Turns out, you don't need to have a Chinese / HKSAR passport for functional constituencies...

Weird...

https://twitter.com/krislc/status/966190461697261568

Kowloon West Geographical Constituency voting papers received.

1. Yiu Chung Yim (No political affiliation)
    2. Cheng Wing Shum Vincent (DAB)
    3. Tsoi Tung Chau (No political affiliation)

Yiu Chung Yim looks like the one to vote for. However, for the first time in Hong Kong, I'd consider not voting, or spoiling my ballot.

Edward Yiu vows support to parties of disqualified lawmakers

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Turns out, you don't need to have a Chinese / HKSAR passport for functional constituencies...

Weird...

https://twitter.com/krislc/status/966190461697261568
    You also can have a foreign citizenship for the regional constituencies as long as the total of such legislators doesn't exceed 20%

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast