Reply
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

2018 Legco By-(s)election discussion...

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    猴山
    Posts
    12,771

    2018 Legco By-(s)election discussion...

    What tactics will the executive branch use to make it an unfair fight?

    Paul Zimmerman will not win as it is a very small circle election of people with links to Beijing

    That leaves 3 geographic constituencies.

    It has already been suggested that spending by the pro-authoritarian camp will be 20x and the major press and TV are all aligned with the pro-authoritarian stance (They barred any new free to air channels). This should be enough to swing most elections but probably not this one.

    What other tactics will the pro-authoritarian regime use to make the election less fair?


  2. #2

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    猴山
    Posts
    12,771

    It looks like the government will wait until the last minute before disqualifying the preferred Pan Dem candidates. That will mean pro-authoritarian candidates will run uncontested. Hopefully this wont happen.

    JAherbert likes this.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    1,482
    Quote Originally Posted by East_coast
    It looks like the government will wait until the last minute before disqualifying the preferred Pan Dem candidates. That will mean pro-authoritarian candidates will run uncontested. Hopefully this wont happen.
    not unexpected

    Demosisto condemns decision to bar its candidate - RTHK

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    猴山
    Posts
    12,771
    Quote Originally Posted by JAherbert
    Still can't find any suggestion by Agnes Chow that she advocates independence. It should be challenged as the returning officer looks to of overstepped the mark and determined what a candidate may be thinking rather than actually saying.

    Self Determination is a normal process for societies to choose the model of governance and acts as a check and a balance on the executive branch.
    yanicole likes this.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,685

    Has there already been a judgement regarding the retuning officers refusing certain candidates? I recall there was some judicial review over the 2016 elections.


  6. #6

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    猴山
    Posts
    12,771
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat
    Has there already been a judgement regarding the retuning officers refusing certain candidates? I recall there was some judicial review over the 2016 elections.
    I seem to recall High Court judge Thomas Au threw it out - I could be wrong

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    1,482
    Quote Originally Posted by East_coast
    Still can't find any suggestion by Agnes Chow that she advocates independence. It should be challenged as the returning officer looks to of overstepped the mark and determined what a candidate may be thinking rather than actually saying.

    Self Determination is a normal process for societies to choose the model of governance and acts as a check and a balance on the executive branch.
    Acting CE said in a Press conference that self-determination and independence contravenes the basic law so government / returning officer has right to disqualify

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,685
    Quote Originally Posted by JAherbert
    Acting CE said in a Press conference that self-determination and independence contravenes the basic law so government / returning officer has right to disqualify
    I've yet to see a law that actually says so. While the basic law clearly says HK is an inalienable part of China there doesn't seem to be a law saying you can't change that or lobby for changing the basic law.
    East_coast and Mefisto like this.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    1,482
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat
    I've yet to see a law that actually says so. While the basic law clearly says HK is an inalienable part of China there doesn't seem to be a law saying you can't change that or lobby for changing the basic law.
    true, has not been really tested in the courts.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    1,482
    Agnes Chow may launch appeal over election ban - RTHK

Reply
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast