Like Tree36Likes

2018 Legco By-(s)election discussion...

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

2018 Legco By-(s)election discussion...

What tactics will the executive branch use to make it an unfair fight?

Paul Zimmerman will not win as it is a very small circle election of people with links to Beijing

That leaves 3 geographic constituencies.

It has already been suggested that spending by the pro-authoritarian camp will be 20x and the major press and TV are all aligned with the pro-authoritarian stance (They barred any new free to air channels). This should be enough to swing most elections but probably not this one.

What other tactics will the pro-authoritarian regime use to make the election less fair?

It looks like the government will wait until the last minute before disqualifying the preferred Pan Dem candidates. That will mean pro-authoritarian candidates will run uncontested. Hopefully this wont happen.

JAherbert likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    It looks like the government will wait until the last minute before disqualifying the preferred Pan Dem candidates. That will mean pro-authoritarian candidates will run uncontested. Hopefully this wont happen.
    not unexpected

Demosisto condemns decision to bar its candidate - RTHK

Quote Originally Posted by JAherbert:
    Still can't find any suggestion by Agnes Chow that she advocates independence. It should be challenged as the returning officer looks to of overstepped the mark and determined what a candidate may be thinking rather than actually saying.

Self Determination is a normal process for societies to choose the model of governance and acts as a check and a balance on the executive branch.
    yanicole likes this.

Has there already been a judgement regarding the retuning officers refusing certain candidates? I recall there was some judicial review over the 2016 elections.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    Has there already been a judgement regarding the retuning officers refusing certain candidates? I recall there was some judicial review over the 2016 elections.
    I seem to recall High Court judge Thomas Au threw it out - I could be wrong

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    Still can't find any suggestion by Agnes Chow that she advocates independence. It should be challenged as the returning officer looks to of overstepped the mark and determined what a candidate may be thinking rather than actually saying.

Self Determination is a normal process for societies to choose the model of governance and acts as a check and a balance on the executive branch.
    Acting CE said in a Press conference that self-determination and independence contravenes the basic law so government / returning officer has right to disqualify

Quote Originally Posted by JAherbert:
    Acting CE said in a Press conference that self-determination and independence contravenes the basic law so government / returning officer has right to disqualify
    I've yet to see a law that actually says so. While the basic law clearly says HK is an inalienable part of China there doesn't seem to be a law saying you can't change that or lobby for changing the basic law.
    East_coast and Mefisto like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    I've yet to see a law that actually says so. While the basic law clearly says HK is an inalienable part of China there doesn't seem to be a law saying you can't change that or lobby for changing the basic law.
    true, has not been really tested in the courts.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast