Like Tree121Likes

Edward Leung get 6 years for being at the Mong Kok riot

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast

Edward Leung get 6 years for being at the Mong Kok riot

Hong Kong activist Edward Leung, the face of city’s independence movement, jailed for six years over Mong Kok riot | South China Morning Post

Sentence appears to be on the very high end for an event that has been classed as a riot. I haven't followed the case too closely as the outcome looked certain. Do we know the details of what he did that was violent apart from the separate charge of assaulting a police officer that he has already pleaded guilty to

The term will be served concurrently for assaulting a police officer.

I know know the name of 3 judges in Hong Kong. It really should only be one.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    Hong Kong activist Edward Leung, the face of city’s independence movement, jailed for six years over Mong Kok riot | South China Morning Post

Sentence appears to be on the very high end for an event that has been classed as a riot. I haven't followed the case too closely as the outcome looked certain. Do we know the details of what he did that was violent apart from the separate charge of assaulting a police officer that he has already pleaded guilty to

The term will be served concurrently for assaulting a police officer.

I know know the name of 3 judges in Hong Kong. It really should only be one.
    How long did he get for hitting the policeman with a wooden board? I 100% support their actions but I bet he'd have gotten worse in most other jurisdictions.

Quote Originally Posted by SpeakCantonese:
    How long did he get for hitting the policeman with a wooden board? I 100% support their actions but I bet he'd have gotten worse in most other jurisdictions.
    The Guardian analysis shows that the average prison sentence handed out by the magistrates to rioters so far is five months dor 2011 riots

from
    https://www.theguardian.com/news/dat...s-incident-map
    spode likes this.

I think it's quite unfair to basically make him responsible for the unrest and punish him for the police's inability to catch most of the violent stone-throwers.

Another guy got 7yrs. Is no one going to "defend" him or is 7yrs okay because he is a nobody?

Quote Originally Posted by Flat Hunter:
    Another guy got 7yrs. Is no one going to "defend" him or is 7yrs okay because he is a nobody?
    Don't know the details but seems on the long side but each case is different.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    Don't know the details but seems on the long side but each case is different.
    Of course each case is different but this seems way over the top. From Twitter feed-

"but it's worth noting a Hong Kong court sentenced an activist to 6 years in prison for a protest today, and that same court sentenced cops who beat a protester to 2 years "

"Also, earlier this year a Hong Kong cop who raped a woman got 5 1/2 years. It's hard to not see Edward Leung's sentence as politically motivated, and judge admitted it was meant to send a message "
    spode and BigOm like this.

It's certainly going to send a message. As sentences get harsher the old phrase 'you might as well be hung for a sheep as a lamb' comes to mind.

TheBrit, HK_Katherine and Skyhook like this.

Quote Originally Posted by SpeakCantonese:
    Aside from North Korea and perhaps Iran I'd think the exact opposite...

https://www.hongkongwatch.org/all-po...f-edward-leung
    We attempted to reform the Public Order Ordinance in the 1990s and made a number of changes because it was clear that the vague definitions in the legislation are open to abuse and do not conform with United Nations human rights standards. It is disappointing to see that the legislation is now being used politically to place extreme sentences on the pan-democrats and other activists.
    Gatts and Mefisto like this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast