Like Tree55Likes

Anthem Bill - Passed on 4th June 2020

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

I start by stating that I recognise this is another nail in the coffin for the freedoms of HK and the penalties are draconian and unwarranted.

However if we take the Anthem in isolation and compare usage of Star Spangled Banner in US there is a bit of double standards going on.

I’d like to see someone attempting to abuse the US Anthem in a US sports stadium. There’s no laws against it that I’m aware of but I’m pretty sure some ‘justice’ would be forthcoming.

Original Post Deleted
    You just cannot help being a wanker the whole time can you?

Of course I can see the difference.

GentleGeorge likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ByeByeEngland:
    I start by stating that I recognise this is another nail in the coffin for the freedoms of HK and the penalties are draconian and unwarranted.

However if we take the Anthem in isolation and compare usage of Star Spangled Banner in US there is a bit of double standards going on.

I’d like to see someone attempting to abuse the US Anthem in a US sports stadium. There’s no laws against it that I’m aware of but I’m pretty sure some ‘justice’ would be forthcoming.
    I've been in Yankees stadium and many people were sitting, eating, playing on phones etc during the anthem for what was admittedly a bog standard game. That wouldn't fly in HK with the new law.

UK perhaps a better example. I don't agree with Scottish football fans booing GSTQ, but they do, and it's not against the law.

(I've attended baseball and basketball games in other parts of America where the anthem was sung loud and proud of course).
    East_coast likes this.

These comparisons with the US are tiresome and ultimately useless. Comparisons are useless without context. Yes Trump for example forced the NFL to stop the kneeling during the anthem however the US is not a dictatorship without democracy, it's not in the midst of protests that are trying to slow down assimilation, it's not trying to resist censorship and repression, it's not becoming a police state, the US has numerous levels of oversight and democratic processes and it has a system of checks and balances. It's stupid to compare police brutality in both countries and it's equally stupid to try to compare laws.

Coolboy and East_coast like this.

The HKFA said police officers could be stationed at soccer games to video crowds to identify people who might be abusing the anthem.
    Glad to see they are having their priorities in order

Brilliant ideas from the man who sent his kids to study in Australia
    https://news.rthk.hk/rthk/en/compone...abChangeable=0

DennisMilano likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    Forced adoration with threats if you don't. Nice

they have to call in enforcement agents to help restore order.
    Will the cops show the kids how to sing the anthem properly? I've seen the recent CCTV interview of the police brass and their Mandarin level isn't good enough to avoid prison themselves IMHO.
    shri, MatthieuTofu and Elegiaque like this.

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast