View Poll Results: What structure should HK follow?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • Independent (like Taiwan)

20 34.48%
  • Follow 1C2S (existing)

27 46.55%
  • Become another city of China (like Shanghai)

6 10.34%
  • Returned to UK

5 8.62%
Like Tree655Likes

Protest: Random Opinions

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 61 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast

Protest: Random Opinions

Quote Originally Posted by aceofangel:
    Want doesn't mean they will. It will be really easy for those who resign to be blackballed in HK. Even if they aren't, finding a job in a comparable airline is not that easy, even if you have a lot of experience and is willing to move.

The writing has been on the wall for awhile, however the bet was Slosar going. The handling of this is clumsy to say the least.
    The central government not up-holding the basic law should not be a reason to resign.
    markranson likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    The central government not up-holding the basic law should not be a reason to resign.
    Tell that to the shareholders lol.

The direct cause is this is the CAAC ban. China or any country can ban anyone it doesn’t like from its airspace. It is not a right and has nothing to do with the basic law. The US has had a no fly list for way longer.

Quote Originally Posted by dynamco:
    Whatever happens, our hats are off to the protesters. It’s not easy standing up for democracy, and many Americans are with you, even if our idiotic president isn’t. Stay strong and stay safe.
    https://gizmodo.com/cathay-pacific-c...-st-1837296992
    I used to have good feelings about the people Vs the government. But now the message of the people has changed to demanding democracy and freedom. Firstly, in my opinion HK is already more free than any other place, including America. Secondly, I do not believe in having democracy will make anything better. It will give rise to lobbying and special interests which is what is halting the growth of America right now.

I stand by the people fighting against policies that encroach on the way HK is at present. But in no way do I wish for it to move closer to a western idealogy.

You call the US president an idiot. I do not vote as I do not believe in it, nor do I believe it makes a difference. But I have grown to respect Trump a little more, as he speaks his mind every 5 seconds and knows what to say to get attention. He also highlights the inefficiencies in the US government, which everyone else thought before with Obama it was a perfect/ideal system.

Quote Originally Posted by MandM!:
    I used to have good feelings about the people Vs the government. But now the message of the people has changed to demanding democracy and freedom. Firstly, in my opinion HK is already more free than any other place, including America. Secondly, I do not believe in having democracy will make anything better. It will give rise to lobbying and special interests which is what is halting the growth of America right now.

I stand by the people fighting against policies that encroach on the way HK is at present. But in no way do I wish for it to move closer to a western idealogy.

You call the US president an idiot. I do not vote as I do not believe in it, nor do I believe it makes a difference. But I have grown to respect Trump a little more, as he speaks his mind every 5 seconds and knows what to say to get attention. He also highlights the inefficiencies in the US government, which everyone else thought before with Obama it was a perfect/ideal system.
    I don't think anyone sensible thought the US system was ideal or perfect. No system is.

You perception of the 'freedom' of Hong Kong is I think largely based on your privileged position. You can do what you like, go where you want. Life is good.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    I don't think anyone sensible thought the US system was ideal or perfect. No system is.

You perception of the 'freedom' of Hong Kong is I think largely based on your privileged position. You can do what you like, go where you want. Life is good.
    People do think the US system is ideal. That's why the protestors are waving the US flag at the HKIA.

What is your definition of privileged? Simply holding a US passport?
    Grumbler likes this.

People do think the US system is ideal. That's why the protestors are waving the US flag at the HKIA.

What is your definition of privileged? Simply holding a US passport?
    How does protesters waving a US flag mean they think the system is ideal? That makes no sense.

Money.
    markranson, radioclub and HKRed like this.

Firstly, in my opinion HK is already more free than any other place, including America. Secondly, I do not believe in having democracy will make anything better. It will give rise to lobbying and special interests which is what is halting the growth of America right now.
    Lol, you are off your rocker. HK already has way more lobbying than the US will ever have, with the added bonus of the lobbyist's being the only ones allowed to vote. HK also isn't free, which you will notice when trying to establish a business in any of the areas covered by functional constituencies. Or when you get fired on Beijing's orders for participating in a protest.
    HK is number one in the world for crony capitalism, people living in cage homes and sky high income inequality.
    It's a nice place to live in for us expats, who are probably in the top 2%, but for most locals it must truly suck.

(Can we keep is about CX will prune this topic later)

August Protest Disruption Calendar / Schedule

I’m going to get flamed for this but I’m predicting that they’ve blown large scale public support with the antics of the last 2 weeks. Shame because Victoria Park to Chater Tomorrow could have been massive and probably permitted were it not for the Airport protests

Quote Originally Posted by ByeByeEngland:
    I’m going to get flamed for this but I’m predicting that they’ve blown large scale public support with the antics of the last 2 weeks. Shame because Victoria Park to Chater Tomorrow could have been massive and probably permitted were it not for the Airport protests
    I don't think that and the police objecting to the march on Sunday shows that imho. The government is afraid it will be another huge turnout, so better prohibit it to keep the peaceful masses at home. The police didn't make themselves look good at the airport and in SSP in the last days. The CCP turning up the propaganda, searching people crossing the border or pressuring Cathay into firing its CEO doesn't do the government any favors either.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 61 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast