Like Tree124Likes

British Consulate staff member, vanished

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

On August 10, the Immigration Department confirmed that Cheng had been "administratively detained, but had no further details. "Till now, we have not received any Notice of Administrative Detention, supposed to be sent out within 24 hours of a person's detention. We simply have never received any documentation confirming that Simon has been formally detained by the authorities,"
    apparently, they knew he was detained on 10-8-2019, China didn't issue the notice within the required 24 hours, so they sit back and wait??? Probably still waiting

https://news.rthk.hk/rthk/en/compone...8-20190821.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Elefant&Castle:
    Only people like @hullexile can spell these days

He's actually got a very nice cv - MS from London School of Economics.

British National Overseas Passport - might be detained to punish UK (for phoning Lam) - everyone is left to guess if they have done something wrong.
    I would expect a young child to know the difference between boarder and border - but readily acknowledge autocorrect wouldn't have a clue.

Who said China needs the law to make cross border arrests? It's like they're saying "we'll show these idiots who's the boss. Stay out of this UK."

Baklava likes this.

Glad I no longer work for BCG - even if I did, I wouldn't be of any value for the Chinese Government

My understanding of how the law works is 5-0 needs probably cause to make an arrest. At least that is the standard in the US. Does anyone know what was the reason for his detention? Based on his texts, seems he did something shady.

Quote Originally Posted by RMDNC:
    My understanding of how the law works is 5-0 needs probably cause to make an arrest. At least that is the standard in the US. Does anyone know what was the reason for his detention? Based on his texts, seems he did something shady.
    Probable cause? In China? Seriously?

Of course, each jurisdiciton probably has different standards for meeting the probable cause requirement. I'm not a lawyer nor a peace officer so I can't tell you what is a grey area and what is definite probable cause. Also, I'm not as familiar with the Mainland as you folks are. So give me some instances where it was demonstrated an arrest was made with lack of probable cause? It seems to be if one has committed an offense or is suspected of doing so based on the evidence or actions visible then there is probable cause to make an arrest. Of course, conviction would require that a crime be committed without reasonable doubt. I think the issue may be what is an offense in one jurisdiction is a civil right in another jurisdiction. So the guy was not following the law over there maybe. Am I missing something folks?

Last edited by RMDNC; 21-08-2019 at 01:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jack55:
    Who said China needs the law to make cross border arrests? It's like they're saying "we'll show these idiots who's the boss. Stay out of this UK."
    If you look at the Causeway Bay Bookstore disappearances then people can be detained by the Chinese government no matter where they are...

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...ances-mainland

Of course, each jurisdiciton probably has different standards for meeting the probable cause requirement.
    China rounded up a bunch of lawyers, it was well-publicized after the fact, I believe the probable cause was something like blah pesky human rights lawyers.

Yes, I am sure there was probable cause to arrest all the people in Xianjiang- oh wait, they weren't even arrested, just taken away in the middle of the night, including little kids going to reeducation kindergartens.

Gatts likes this.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast