Like Tree124Likes

British Consulate staff member, vanished

Reply
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
  1. #31

    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,770
    Quote Originally Posted by RMDNC:
    Again the issue is you folks seem to apply your own rules and regulations and expect the law in your home country to apply elsewhere. That is not the case and should not be.
    Do you really believe there is rule of law in the mainland?

  2. #32

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    6,499
    “I also want to stress that this worker is a Hong Kong citizen – not a British citizen – and he is Chinese. And this is entirely an internal matter of China.”
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckster007:
    I knew they would say something like this lol

    That was the "Ministry spokesman Geng Shuang".

    But I thought there was only Chinese citizens, not Hong Kong citizens! Maybe Geng Shuang is calling for Hong Kong to be free!

  3. #33

    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    2,730

    OK, but what did he DO? Usually when reporting on a crime, the police/prosecutor say what the person is alleged to have done, not what statute he broke.

    Probably had WhatsApp on his phone, 15 days sounds about right for that kind of vile criminal activity.

    I am SO bringing a shiny clean phone next time I go to Shenzhen...lord alone knows the penalties in China for what I have said just on GeoExpat...


  4. #34

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    20,251
    Quote Originally Posted by RMDNC:
    Who knows what law he broke. Maybe he was smuggling firecrackers or dim sum or doing whatever is against the law. Whatever the law is they are saying he broke it and they had probable cause to detain him.

    Again the issue is you folks seem to apply your own rules and regulations and expect the law in your home country to apply elsewhere. That is not the case and should not be.
    It is astonishing that you can live in China but be this clueless about how things work in China.

  5. #35

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Island East
    Posts
    4,938
    Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau:
    I am SO bringing a shiny clean phone next time I go to Shenzhen...lord alone knows the penalties in China for what I have said just on GeoExpat...
    Aren't you a lawyer, you'll get arrested for being a foriegn spy.

  6. #36

    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    2,730

    I'm an AMERICAN lawyer, even worse...although they seem to be sucking up to Trump so maybe I am OK.


  7. #37

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    509
    Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau:
    I'm an AMERICAN lawyer, even worse...although they seem to be sucking up to Trump so maybe I am OK.
    They haven't detained any american citizens lately so there you go...
    MABinPengChau likes this.

  8. #38

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    2,084
    Quote Originally Posted by RMDNC:
    Who knows what law he broke. Maybe he was smuggling firecrackers or dim sum or doing whatever is against the law. Whatever the law is they are saying he broke it and they had probable cause to detain him.

    Again the issue is you folks seem to apply your own rules and regulations and expect the law in your home country to apply elsewhere. That is not the case and should not be.
    Are you guessing what happened as well? Everyone else is guessing too. Just based on what China has done before.

  9. #39

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    猴山
    Posts
    18,335
    Quote Originally Posted by UK/HKboy:
    Are you guessing what happened as well? Everyone else is guessing too. Just based on what China has done before.
    Obviously the transcripts of the court will come out in due course giving a reasoned opinion of why it reached the verdict based on the evidence and cases made on each side.

  10. #40

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    猴山
    Posts
    18,335
    Quote Originally Posted by RMDNC:
    Who knows what law he broke. Maybe he was smuggling firecrackers or dim sum or doing whatever is against the law. Whatever the law is they are saying he broke it and they had probable cause to detain him.

    Again the issue is you folks seem to apply your own rules and regulations and expect the law in your home country to apply elsewhere. That is not the case and should not be.
    According to the World Justice Project the following areas that seem pertinent to this case China's ranking out of 126 countries in the index

    Constraints on Government Powers 119
    Fundamental Rights 121

    The report suggest the government doesn't offer any rights to the people and there are no checks on what it does. You could be right that he committed a crime and due process has been followed but it would be an anomaly.

Reply
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast