Like Tree61Likes

Emergence of HK Yellow Economy

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Emergence of HK Yellow Economy

Thought this deserves a separate thread, not the first and definitely not the last but a great example of how things are rapidly shaping up in HK , will be very interesting to see how far this goes and if it can actually create a legit small economy within HK..

Protesters get works as renovations firm does bit | The Standard

jrkob, AsianXpat0, shri and 4 others like this.

Don't forget ... there is a pretty strong call for a 'blue' economy too.

Carrie Lam has apparently promised several pro-gov candidates / staffers jobs in the government yesterday. I cannot find any verified sources in English for this. I am sure some of you can find a link or two.

I did copy paste this from a tweet and shared with some friends.

Remember how pro Dems won the district council election? Well Carrie Lam now said she'll give a public office role to those who lost. As to how many will get a role and what kind, we don't know, but here's another bad and blind move from the HKSAR gov.
    Got me thinking ... mix the yellow and blue economies and we get one of the govt's vision ... a green economy. No matter how fucked or the shade of green - they'll have achieved a goal.

Quote Originally Posted by nivantj:
    Thought this deserves a separate thread, not the first and definitely not the last but a great example of how things are rapidly shaping up in HK , will be very interesting to see how far this goes and if it can actually create a legit small economy within HK..

Protesters get works as renovations firm does bit | The Standard
    would they say no if the job is to renovate maxim group resto? just saying..
    imparanoic likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy SNK:
    Depends what kind of renovation

Quote Originally Posted by Andy SNK:
    The question is whether Maxim will give contract to them in the first place!!! The society is divided into some serious deep shit and blue gang, with all its political and money power, will take this shit very seriously..
    imparanoic likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Carrie Lam has apparently promised several pro-gov candidates / staffers jobs in the government yesterday. I cannot find any verified sources in English for this. I am sure some of you can find a link or two.
    See this quote "A column in the pro-Beijing Sing Tao Daily on Tuesday claimed that Lam met with more than ten defeated district councillors of the Federation of Trade Unions. Lam apologised to them and promised that they will be appointed to government committees, the column claimed." from https://www.hongkongfp.com/2019/12/1...ef-carrie-lam/

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Got me thinking ... mix the yellow and blue economies and we get one of the govt's vision ... a green economy. No matter how fucked or the shade of green - they'll have achieved a goal.

Unfortunately I don't think the government really wants a green economy, unless it's the color of American dollars. They're not interested in sustainability (of any kind) nor do they want to mix blue and yellow.

Which is going to be bad for Hong Kong. I may have my personal opinion on matters, but I also firmly believe that as a society you need to listen to each other, and a society which is as split as it is now, is going to bring long term problems. I don't think anyone wants another Northern Ireland.
    AsianXpat0 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by nivantj:
    The question is whether Maxim will give contract to them in the first place!!! The society is divided into some serious deep shit and blue gang, with all its political and money power, will take this shit very seriously..
    let's say for all renovation and construction work, including MTR renovation, traffic lights, road blocks, etc. it may be open tender for public. so it might be hard to determine which contractors are blue, yellow, green, pink or whatever color available.
    Good side: always have jobs available in the cycle.
    weekends = "renovate"
    weekdays = back to work to "de-renovate" and get paid

Blue economy, yellow economy.. this only works for roles that are commoditised.. Once you get to hard to hire talent based roles there will be competition amongst any 'side' since in demand talent will always be hard to get.

Secondly, restricting your talent pool will also increase your costs of hiring particularly for the above areas where there is higher demand so this will only play out on a short term, and then longer term economic planning will come back into place for companies.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast