• 1 Post By Coolboy
  • 6 Post By cookie09
  • 3 Post By Coolboy
  • 4 Post By cookie09

What's wrong with Bernard Chan

Closed Thread

What's wrong with Bernard Chan

https://www.scmp.com/comment/opinion...e-many-stories

There was a time when i had a shred of respect for Bernard, when he told some truths that were relevant and difficult for the government. Now all he can do is deflect to other parts of the world, barely mention the level of what has been going on in this town ("police shooting and injuring a protester in Tsuen Wan, a police officer injured after having his neck cut and other incidents in shopping malls and on the streets") and become a tool for an illegitimate government.

Step down Bernard, you are already condemned in the history books of Hong Kong. And if you can't step down because you would lose too much when the United Front swoops in on you, then at least retain a shred of respect by refusing to put your name against such articles

I mean he isn't wrong. The protests do take up an inordinately large chunk of western media time in comparison to similar issues in Chile, Lebanon etc.

nuageklow likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by cloroxbleach:
    I mean he isn't wrong. The protests do take up an inordinately large chunk of western media time in comparison to similar issues in Chile, Lebanon etc.
    This is indeed the narrative that they are spinning, but as an international financial center where citizens of many nations gather, global interest would naturally be higher than average for the events taking place. Or is Bernard advocating a GDP more in line with global averages too?

He is toad who has run out of ideas. Just as clueless as Carrie Lam and her coterie of incompetent yes-men. There is literally not one person left in ExCo or the government who could command respect from all sections of society. Not one.

Quote Originally Posted by cookie09:
    https://www.scmp.com/comment/opinion...e-many-stories

There was a time when i had a shred of respect for Bernard, when he told some truths that were relevant and difficult for the government. Now all he can do is deflect to other parts of the world, barely mention the level of what has been going on in this town ("police shooting and injuring a protester in Tsuen Wan, a police officer injured after having his neck cut and other incidents in shopping malls and on the streets") and become a tool for an illegitimate government.

Step down Bernard, you are already condemned in the history books of Hong Kong. And if you can't step down because you would lose too much when the United Front swoops in on you, then at least retain a shred of respect by refusing to put your name against such articles
    Joining the government, in whatever capacity, seems to require leaving your conscience and ethics behind.
    junichitsuyo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by cloroxbleach:
    factually correct but this is an opinion piece and not an article reporting some facts and there's two things wrong with his line of opinion:

a) one would expect him to understand why Hong Kong commands so much more attention (some hints: global financial center, gateway to China, a cry from freedom, largest peaceful protest ever in the world on a protester-to-total-population basis, sustained going out of line by the police, no tangible response by the police or government, etc)

b) rather than him deflecting to other countries i would love to see some genuine insights on what is happening locally, what went wrong and what can be done to solve things - after all we pay him to sit on the Exco whose job is to do exactly that!

Quote Originally Posted by cookie09:
    after all we pay him to sit on the Exco whose job is to do exactly that!
    Funny thing about Chan, you can see how being in government and the corridor of power has steadily "eroded" his moral foundation. I remember when Chan first started writing columns on the SCMP, a decent number of his articles were quite reasonable and logical. In fact, I actually agree with some of what he wrote, whether he was advocating for a pro-establishment position or not, because what he wrote made sense. But steadily, as his duration in government increased, you can see a gradual but consistent decline in quality of his argument. He makes less and less arguments based on facts and reason and more on ideological slogans and simply slandering the other side. This mirrored his decline in conscience and being able to tell right from wrong.

I don't know whether he was forced to do this as part of the United Front Strategy, i.e. write this or you will be kicked out of Exco. But the moment he agreed to do so, he has sold his soul to the devil. A shame, Chan did show glimmers of ability at the outset. But he has been, shall we say, been "harmonized".
    cookie09, hongkong7 and shafiq like this.

https://www.scmp.com/comment/opinion...y-people-could

Another weird piece from Bernard Chan. Why is he bringing up this topic right now? It’s a non-topic except the government knows more than we do and is addressing it proactively?
    Last edited by shri; 03-01-2020 at 07:35 AM. Reason: Fomatting