Like Tree840Likes

2020 - "Wuhan Flu" in Hong Kong

Closed Thread
Page 10 of 62 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 18 ... LastLast

MatthieuTofu likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    It is the habit of Chinese consumption of "野味" ( game animals) that is again the cause of the outbreak. By game animals, we are not talking about the typical pig, cow, goose or lamb, those common domesticated animals seldom come in contact with bats and are not the likely to be intermediary host for this new type SARS. Instead we are talking about wild animals like civets, weasels and so forth, ones that are wild caught.
    Again I am struck by the breadth of your general knowledge and how it bridges such diverse areas of expertise... out of curiosity, what field are you in?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Chips:
    Again I am struck by the breadth of your general knowledge and how it bridges such diverse areas of expertise... out of curiosity, what field are you in?
    Well on this topic, I was in HK when SARS broke out in the city. I wanted to leave HK then, but at the time I just moved to the city for not very long so I decided to persevere to ride out the outbreak. And I remember SARS was traced to consumption of game animals like civets. And I am also somewhat of a newsjunkie and I enjoy reading broadly on different topics when time allows.
    CharSiuNow and junichitsuyo like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Chips:
    out of curiosity, what field are you in?
    He is a professional geoexpater

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    He is a professional geoexpater
    Hehe. Is there such a thing, I always wonder.

10 more suspected cases as of noon today.
    https://www.info.gov.hk/gia/general/...0010900622.htm
    shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MatthieuTofu:
    The big problem is that there are too many unknown variables at play right now. We don't have any statistics on how many people develop respiratory illnesses from Wuhan normally vs the current situation (given the large amount of passengers between HK and Wuhan, it would be normal to expect some of them will fall ill under non-outbreak circumstances). Yeah that longer process can eventually detect the virus, but the efficient way to resolve this is for the mainland to be more forthcoming about exchanging the necessary information and evidence like samples, as the health authorities indicated in the article.

The big question is, will the medical authorities in Wuhan release it and when? This is a real test on exchange of medical info between mainland and HK, there are agreed procedures in place for both sides to do ths, but will it work when it is really needed, like now.

Coolboy and irisboards like this.

Closed Thread
Page 10 of 62 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 18 ... LastLast