Like Tree279Likes

Relocating out of HK - Coronavirus

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7

Quote Originally Posted by Cornmeal:
    How much hand sany you bringing back? Just got 3.5L here in Netherlands but they had no masks at Etos. Did pick up lots of surgical masks in Greece though. Have friends and neighbours requesting some of what I'm bringing.

For the masks have you tried the big building material stores like Gamma? Better chance finding them there.
    Cornmeal likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Paxbritannia:
    90 day test for the UK is pretty harsh - I thought it would be the same as Australia which is 183 days
    Depends on your ties. Luckily my first wife divorced me taking all my assets so no ties left! I am sure I was on 180 days.

Quote Originally Posted by Paxbritannia:
    90 day test for the UK is pretty harsh - I thought it would be the same as Australia which is 183 days
    One of those tie qualifiers is whether you work for more then THREE hours per day. That’s somewhat harsh!

I’m debating who to contact to seek a potential exemption. It’s still only a consideration and not a decision at this time

Relocating out of HK - Coronavirus

Original Post Deleted
    Yep I’d already got that but thanks others might find it useful. I fall into the 46 days 3 ties category! EDIT - I should more correctly state I could fall foul of the 3rd tie of 40 working days in the tax year. It’s tight but the longer I leave it the more likely I am to be inside the limit. Now I’m rechecking my dates!

The manual for exceptional circumstances doesn’t have virus and my guess is the revenue will be less than sympathetic. I do intend to make contact and escalate until I get a common sense reply or a definitive no exemption ruling. I’ll post any significant updates on here. I’m sure others could be in a similar situation albeit 91 days in a tax year being their trigger.
    Last edited by ByeByeEngland; 08-02-2020 at 05:20 PM.

Still torn between staying here or temporarily going back to Europe working HK hours + risk of getting fired as this might make some people unpleased.

i have no obligations here in Hk, managed to break my lease with no fees, I don’t have kids or a partner etc. Maybe I should go somewhere else in Asia but unsure about the consequences if there is an outbreak

Original Post Deleted
    I slightly edited my previous post on working days. I don’t need to file returns.

Let’s assume I can get myself inside the limit for this year. My concern for the next tax year would be can I get back? I do have permanent HKID. No one has a crystal ball. I’m still minded to post a hypothetical question to the revenue

I survived Sars here but seriously thinking of leaving. The climbing numbers and office staff in Shanghai telling us about the bodies piling up are really making me loose sleep. But stupid ESF is saying they are still holding IB language exams for my kids in a week!

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7