Like Tree1674Likes

COVID-19 - Feb Week 2 News & Discussions

Closed Thread
Page 58 of 79 FirstFirst ... 50 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 66 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by shri
    Random conversation with my elderly taxi driver today.

"Business is worse than SARs"

"Taxi owners reduced daily rent by $100 a month ago and will reduce again from next Monday"

"Taxi rent is now down to $260 / day"

"Barely making $100/$200 a day in profit after paying rental and expenses."
    Seeing how taxi drivers were prepared to gouge passengers during the MTR curfews when there was a surplus of customers, although I sympathise with drivers, my overall level of sympathy for them is limited.
    Cminds, a voice, timonoj and 7 others like this.

jgl

Quote Originally Posted by greenmark
    Seeing how taxi drivers were prepared to gouge passengers during the MTR curfews when there was a surplus of customers, although I sympathise with drivers, my overall level of sympathy for them is limited.
    I've met a lot of completely decent and pleasant taxi drivers in HK, even during the transport disruptions. I would not lump them all in together like this.
    shri, Cornmeal, greenmark and 9 others like this.

Not official "8AM" numbers... but updated for the day.

The day by day count for this week: Can be found here.

The running commentary at BNO on today's statistics:

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1228150722451189764
    https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1228112826214047744
    https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1228104963315949568
    https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1228103981102092290

Back to quarantine with HK characteristics for those on the medical frontline..

https://twitter.com/ajmm19923493/sta...32936873938945
    OH MY GOD!
    JAherbert and MatthieuTofu like this.

My upstairs neighbour is a taxi driver and is ( by his choice ) not working. Choosing instead to be safe with his family as we all are. Not being able to find a taxi, in these circumstances, is just another 1st world problem IMHO. Family first.
    timonoj, jgl and Skyhook like this.

Quote Originally Posted by David4Maths
    My upstairs neighbour is a taxi driver and is ( by his choice ) not working. Choosing instead to be safe with his family as we all are. Not being able to find a taxi, in these circumstances, is just another 1st world problem IMHO. Family first.
    Means he's not doing taxi to make ends meet. There's something else going on up there, upstairs

Quote Originally Posted by sv336
    Means he's not doing taxi to make ends meet. There's something else going on up there, upstairs
    So, like me, then. So what must be going on in my place? Oh, no mortgage, financially sound. Work when I want with whom I want. Sit back and let the world right itself before going back out into the world seems an ideal methodology at the moment so i go with that as others can also do. Suits me. Family first.

Quote Originally Posted by David4Maths
    So, like me, then. So what must be going on in my place? Oh, no mortgage, financially sound. Work when I want with whom I want. Sit back and let the world right itself before going back out into the world seems an ideal methodology at the moment so i go with that as others can also do. Suits me. Family first.
    Somehow I suspect most HK people can't afford the luxury of freely choosing when to work like you, they have to put food on the table and pay the bills, whether it's school tuition for their kids, mortgages, grocery purchase and so on.

Exactly. Yes, the taxi industry is suffering right now due to the outbreak:

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...ling-hong-kong

But the taxi industry in HK is rotten to the core. It's a protected monopoly with little incentive to improve service. Sure, every time when someone points out this fact, someone else will say not every taxi driver is bad. That is true, but that's like saying not every criminal serving a life sentence is a psychopath. You will always get an exception, but that doesn't change the pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by greenmark;[URL="[URL
    tel:3696210[/URL]"]3696210[/URL]]Seeing how taxi drivers were prepared to gouge passengers during the MTR curfews when there was a surplus of customers, although I sympathise with drivers, my overall level of sympathy for them is limited.
    same here ... not much sympathy for them... so long in HK now and they ( their service, tidiness, attitude etc ) never really has improved...quite the opposite! But yes of course some kind and “customer oriented“ fellas amongst the drivers... feel sorry for them obviously!
    Coolboy and donaldslopez like this.

Closed Thread
Page 58 of 79 FirstFirst ... 50 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 66 ... LastLast