Like Tree1674Likes

COVID-19 - Feb Week 2 News & Discussions

Closed Thread
Page 63 of 72 FirstFirst ... 55 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 71 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Chips:
    I defended and empathised with the suit touts and the taxi drivers... but I'm looking myself in the mirror and realising that I am a hypocrite, because I really couldn't give a shit about the demise of the racket that is international schools in HK.
    In particular, it is the new franchised schools with large mainland cohorts that are at risk. Not all..

They should be asking for franchise fee relief and not subsidies.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    Because of the reaction to it.
    If I take medicines to stop me dying and those medicines have side effects then the direct cause of the side effects is the medicine but the real cause is the illness. I know you would argue the illness does not warrant the strong medicine but most disagree.

Mrgoodkat is quite right that - on the whole - the reaction to this virus is over the top and most of the damage is being caused by this reaction and not the virus itself. Others are right to point out that individual people are not statistics and that anyone getting it and dying from it (or having a relative die from it) don't see it that way. But Governments need to operate on the basis of probabilities and "the greater good". Its not clear to me that this is actually occuring. The WHO says "don't close borders" yet much of the world already has. Economic harm does not just result is loss of money, it also kills people - through starvation if they cannot buy food for themselves or their children; or pay for medicine when they need it etc etc. Economic loss is not just on paper, it also affects people and the economic loss is affecting more people than the virus (by some order of magnitude).

Should Wuhan have been shut down? Absolutely. But the rest of it? That's more dubious. Much of this is clearly the fault of the CCP and it's secretive nature and perhaps that's the more reasonable thing to fear, rather than the virus. On balance, I think some prudent measures related to hand-washing, making masks and sanitizer available and beefing up the health response capabilities at clinics and hospitals may have been all we really should be doing (outside of China).

mrgoodkat and jgl like this.

Lower the fees a bit and locals will flood the international schools, they can survive. I really do feel for tuition centers and such because apparently they are required to shut down by the government- other businesses are hurting, very true, but are not required to shut down. So I do feel worse for them. Also, seriously, there are not crowds of kids there, kids are now crazy bored, let the centers open!

Mr Chips, shri, Mefisto and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Confused. Goodkat lives in Hong Kong, I live away. He is scoffing it is just like flu, I am taking it seriously.
    Exactly. You got it right. It's a general comment. Take it more seriously. Less swords.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    Mrgoodkat is quite right that - on the whole - the reaction to this virus is over the top and most of the damage is being caused by this reaction and not the virus itself. Others are right to point out that individual people are not statistics and that anyone getting it and dying from it (or having a relative die from it) don't see it that way. But Governments need to operate on the basis of probabilities and "the greater good". Its not clear to me that this is actually occuring. The WHO says "don't close borders" yet much of the world already has. Economic harm does not just result is loss of money, it also kills people - through starvation if they cannot buy food for themselves or their children; or pay for medicine when they need it etc etc. Economic loss is not just on paper, it also affects people and the economic loss is affecting more people than the virus (by some order of magnitude).

Should Wuhan have been shut down? Absolutely. But the rest of it? That's more dubious. Much of this is clearly the fault of the CCP and it's secretive nature and perhaps that's the more reasonable thing to fear, rather than the virus. On balance, I think some prudent measures related to hand-washing, making masks and sanitizer available and beefing up the health response capabilities at clinics and hospitals may have been all we really should be doing (outside of China).
    It is always a tough decision. Specifically which measures would you not have implemented?

Personally with the Philippines being currently Covid19 free I am happy the flights were stopped.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:

I think the situation now is that someone in China has gotten the virus genie out of the bottle. That is where, in the world-wide play, the Chinese characters' role ends and the real capable people get up on the stage to clear the mess up

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    School teachers or private education centers? There is another lobbying effort going on the the centers and their staff.

Many many part time / zero contract hour staff across HK are seeing their businesses destroyed over the last six months. They are not getting any subsidies either.

Pain is across the spectrum. Not just teachers.
    I know that. I think the government should give everyone with a HKID a cash handout, not pick and choose. I think I've said in a previous post that it is the whole spectrum affected, not just by #coronavirus but also by the protests... for example, I know a used car salesman who has gone out of business, another who sells 2nd hand furniture is doing it hard, another who sells insurance, and the list goes on.

I welcome the formation of the tutorial centre union but it shouldn't be necessary... that said, as far as I know, they are the only business that has been explicitly ordered to close during this period... I would argue that if there are going to be 'favoured' beneficiaries of the 'war chest' that it ought to be those who are most affected by the government policies and, arguably, those that provide the most valued service.
    shri, AsianXpat0 and hongkong7 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by john_1122:
    That's not true. I get the same salary as before, but stay at home, so I need to work about 20% of what I did before. I am one of the lucky ones. There are people who are going bankrupt because of this virus.
    Give it time.. Unless you are an emigration consultant.
    eIIe, mrgoodkat, Jackie1 and 2 others like this.

Original Post Deleted
    Do you mean Hubei, where Wuhan is?

Hebei is a difference province.

Closed Thread
Page 63 of 72 FirstFirst ... 55 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 71 ... LastLast