Like Tree1674Likes

COVID-19 - Feb Week 2 News & Discussions

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 72 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 17 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Fictionalised or not its powerful. Having watched both my parents die a month apart it rings true. Think when your parents died or when your parents will die then multiply by the number of deaths. It is not just numbers.
    Apparently it's not fictionalized. It's been confirmed by some reporters.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/China/comme...ban_a/fh4m26s/
    Mr Chips likes this.

The WHO seems to have something to say.

https://twitter.com/DrTedros/status/1226629008302931971

Quote Originally Posted by shri:

" Containment remains our strategy". Was opposing travel bans part of that strategy?

Quote Originally Posted by shri:

"The detection of a small number of cases may indicate more widespread transmission in other countries; in short, we may only be seeing the tip of the iceberg." I can't make sense out of this statement. Is he saying there is just a small amount of cases, or difficulties with detection cause missing the real picture? What is the "iceberg" - lots of transmissions, I'd assume. Then what's the issue with detecting them and what is WHO doing to address whatever the problem is?

F*ck his "it may or may not rain" tweets. No fool will trust what he says (besides carrie lam)

When somebody uses words like tip n iceberg, prepare for the worse.

Quote Originally Posted by sv336:
    "The detection of a small number of cases may indicate more widespread transmission in other countries; in short, we may only be seeing the tip of the iceberg." I can't make sense out of this statement. Is he saying there is just a small amount of cases, or difficulties with detection cause missing the real picture? What is the "iceberg" - lots of transmissions, I'd assume. Then what's the issue with detecting them and what is WHO doing to address whatever the problem is?
    The full tweet is "There’ve been some concerning instances of onward #2019nCoV spread from people with no travel history to 🇨🇳. The detection of a small number of cases may indicate more widespread transmission in other countries; in short, we may only be seeing the tip of the iceberg."

Small number of cases = those with no travel history to China but have been infected.

Most of the testing has been done of those who have travel history to China, just like in Hong Kong where we're quarantining people who are coming back from China. There is no active testing on those without history. I interpret the 'tip of the iceberg' as those infected with travel history in China (i.e. those we are actively doing testing on to see if they are infected). There may be plenty more with no history of travel who are infected (the rest of the iceberg). For example, the people who went to the conference in Singapore and have become infected.
    shri, AsianXpat0 and HK_Katherine like this.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/world/europe...super-spreader

Back to the asymptomatic infections plausibility?

EDIT: Comes from The Telegraph...so you know, keep your stone of salt around. But...yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by bcmilk:
    The full tweet is "There’ve been some concerning instances of onward #2019nCoV spread from people with no travel history to ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï ¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½. The detection of a small number of cases may indicate more widespread transmission in other countries; in short, we may only be seeing the tip of the iceberg."

Small number of cases = those with no travel history to China but have been infected.

Most of the testing has been done of those who have travel history to China, just like in Hong Kong where we're quarantining people who are coming back from China. There is no active testing on those without history. I interpret the 'tip of the iceberg' as those infected with travel history in China (i.e. those we are actively doing testing on to see if they are infected). There may be plenty more with no history of travel who are infected (the rest of the iceberg). For example, the people who went to the conference in Singapore and have become infected.
    Thank you for pointing out my quote was incomplete. Not buying why "travel to China" would be a differential factor at this (or earlier) point to assess one's probability of being infected. Especially considering WHO vision of not limiting travel. As the virus is being spread by people, anyone who came in contact with someone who carries the virus is infected, regardless of the borders. That is exactly what the world spread model is built on. Still puzzled what is this WHO guy smoking. WHO the fck appointed this clown to the post?
    coffee_break likes this.

I don't think he can be called a 'super spreader' if the bulk of infections from him were to people that he he knew well and was sharing a ski lodge with!

shri likes this.

Deleted

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 72 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 17 ... LastLast