Like Tree1674Likes

COVID-19 - Feb Week 2 News & Discussions

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 79 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast

COVID-19 - Feb Week 2 News & Discussions

Please use this thread for Wuhan / nCov / Flu and related discussions on shortages of both supplies and signs of competency in the local government. Will split out threads as and when new attention worthy discussions start.

Here's what we know / suspect:

• 10000s affected, 100s dead
    • Statistics are rumored to be manipulated or incorrect or correct
    • Toilet paper shortages across HK, Singapore and even Taiwan
    • People are buying apartments to get free toilet paper and masks which are offered as promotions
    • Govt has a quarantine scheme in place with HK characteristics
    • Same govt is looking for unpaid volunteers to help with the quarantine - including medical students and scouts
    • There might be an outbreak of H5N1 in China, but it does not matter as there is no one out there to feed the chickens and they're all dying anyways
    • Local residents across HK are protesting proposed quarantine camps in their areas
    • The Chinese national anthem is being censored on social media because it has a line about slaves rising up

Name:  Screenshot 2020-02-09 at 8.52.21 AM.png
Views: 2276
Size:  33.1 KB

Name:  Screenshot 2020-02-10 at 8.17.24 AM.png
Views: 1949
Size:  31.3 KB

Name:  Screenshot 2020-02-11 at 9.14.26 AM.png
Views: 1580
Size:  33.0 KB

Name:  Screenshot 2020-02-12 at 10.24.52 AM.png
Views: 1319
Size:  31.2 KB

Numbers not updated - the sharp change is possibly due to changes in diagnostic protocol

Name:  Screenshot 2020-02-14 at 10.21.00 AM.png
Views: 865
Size:  40.0 KB

Name:  Screenshot 2020-02-15 at 12.21.20 PM.png
Views: 602
Size:  45.7 KB

Stats updated every day at 8-9AM.
    Last edited by shri; 15-02-2020 at 12:21 PM.

https://www.caixinglobal.com/2020-02...&Sfrom=twitter

Hospitals may have turned away large numbers of patients whose nucleic acid tests return false negative: “Even patients who definitely have the disease only come back positive 30% to 50% of the time,” Wang said. “Testing ... returns a lot of false negatives.”

Quote Originally Posted by balancedequatio
    Oh shit. False positives would be a lot better news. So people walking around who think they are negative but not and they can join the people walking around who are in "mandatory quarantine".
    TigerSun likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile
    Oh shit. False positives would be a lot better news. So people walking around who think they are negative but not and they can join the people walking around who are in "mandatory quarantine".
    Not sure. It's just one news story. Should wait and see if there are other such reports or conclusions from researchers and doctors on the ground.

Also, hoping they aren't releasing people as cured from a single test.
    Last edited by balancedequatio; 09-02-2020 at 07:40 AM.

Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, WHO director general, said a team of international experts has been assembled, with the goal of sending the first members of the team to China by early next week. He said he is hoping officials from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention will be part of the mission. The announcement follows weeks of requests from the WHO and CDC to travel to the country to assist in investigating the virus.
    Tedros said on Saturday that the Chinese government approved the international team's arrival in the country, but he would not comment on exactly who would be participating. "The team leader will be leaving either Monday or Tuesday. That's what we're aiming at now. And the rest of the experts will follow after that," Tedros said.

In mainland China, meanwhile, anger continues to mount over how local officials in Wuhan initially handled the outbreak. This week, China's state censors have been cracking down on news items related to coronavirus, taking down local news stories about the dire circumstances to Wuhan and removing social media posts from residents who said they have fallen ill.

https://www.npr.org/2020/02/08/80413...BeGFkMNAsvq8mg

balancedequatio likes this.

If the central government is willing to allow international teams now to help and observe, that's a big change in attitude.

But this makes me more worried about the true scope of the epidemic.

Quote Originally Posted by balancedequatio
    If the central government is willing to allow international teams now to help and observe, that's a big change in attitude.

But this makes me more worried about the true scope of the epidemic.
    We don’t know what they show them though. It might be Potemkin Villages.

I have a clinic appointment tomorrow, and I admit that I do have a concern about going. It's usually crowded there with a good number of people suffering the flu or cold.

But I have been waiting for this particular appointment for over 6 months.

I'm going over the game plan in my head of how to get in and out without incident. And to tell myself not to be irrational about it.

Face mask is required and they hand one out if you don't have one, but I'm bringing my own-- even though there's evidence from some experts that they are useless. I will bring along some hand sanitizer of my own.

I'm debating if I should also wear something like swimming goggles to be really over the top. Or wear a pair of surgical gloves or a KFC plastic mitten

What about surfaces? Should I take a seat in the waiting room?

I usually arrive much earlier for appointments, but I'm thinking maybe this is one time I get there just on time.

Anyone recently just decide to cancel or not show up for their clinic appointment because of the current outbreak?

This looks more like HK (and S Korea) are delaying reporting than that they got the situation under control

GreenCatalonia likes this.

So I had a look at today's figures in detail - only 2650 new cases since yesterday, not many more serious cases, spike in deaths.

I spent a good 30 minutes trying to interpret what it all meant, on whether it suggested things were getting under control, the likely quality of data, the possible mortality rate.

Then I remembered that I am not an epidemiologist and realised that I really wasted those 30 minutes.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 79 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast