Like Tree145Likes

Face mask: advice on which one and wearing

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    Yes! And isn't it kind of bad for your health to put a piece of polypropylene up against your nose and mouth?!

I will admit. I am a classic anti-mask wearing Westerner. I respect that there is a cultural difference and I don't want to make people uncomfortable, so I will gladly avoid people (and fortunately I can). But last week when I wore a mask into town it was simply awful. My glasses fogged up constantly, it was itchy and coming up too high on my face, so I was constantly touching it and my face. I couldn't drink water as regularly as I would, thus dehydrating myself. I did need to eat lunch, so I had to use 2 total for the day. I could hardly breathe, too. AND they're expensive, $20 minimum a pop!

I think it's awful and was making the situation worse for me personally, rubbing my contaminated hands on my face to adjust it. Masks are not for me, and I don't want to put my own health at risk by wearing one. I will stay home.

But I did see a kid in the supermarket let out a huge sneeze into his face mask, and I greatly appreciated that he had one!
    When you have to wear a mask, so it’s a little less unpleasant for you, pinch the nose bridge after putting it on with the wire side on top. That should prevent your glasses fogging up. You can reuse after at least one meal (at least I do), you just have to keep the mask properly (ziploc bag or tissues). I’ll admit I haven’t had to buy masks recently, but I wouldn’t pay more than $5 for a (surgical) mask, although prices may have inflated even more.

If you mean the N95 masks, then it works better, provided it’s custom-fit, and yes, it’s too hard to breathe with for significant durations. If you’re wearing a mask for social considerations rather than to protect yourself (medical settings), consider a surgical mask.
    JAherbert likes this.

I, for one, have always followed the standard procedure(s) and or protocols we followed at surgical wards/operation theatre (pre/intra/post op) to maintain sterile area and prevent contamination. Well - more or less. The post (by HKFP) is the only one I've found agreeable so far ( longevity, usage and durability of masks, the proper handling and disposal etc) .

I think one of the most important informations the public (those who cannot afford to buy, and also those who are largely ignorant and misguided) is missing, is that if you REALLY have no other choice(s) but to use the same mask ( something I'm staunchly against) again, then HANDLE IT PROPERLY :

- prevent CONTAMINATION of the already used mask by not touching its inner or outer surface ; if you have touched the outer part, DO NOT touch the inner. If you do, dispose it off.

- take off the mask by handling only the ear loops,

- after the mask is taken off ,do not leave it with the inner surface lying down on table or anywhere . It's unhygienic and a very good mode of transportation for the germs to spread out.

That said, masks aren't a sole guarantee to 100% safety and security against coronavirus ( what with the debate surrounding n95 or surgical). Our basic standard of hygiene , our lifestyle (accommodation/food), and most importantly how strong our immune system is and whether or not we have any other pre existing medical conditions, all play a vital role in determining whether or not our candidature stands fit for the virus to attack us. Good day folks!

Face mask: advice on which one and wearing

Resist the urge, resist the urge, resist.... ahhh bugger it. I gave up trying to get reliable evidence on either side of the fence.

What I think I now know

Culturally massive in Asia and previously virtually non existent in the west.
    The NHS are not including wearing facemasks in their advice
    WHO only recommend wearing masks in certain circumstances. Going about everyday life is not one of them.
    Facemasks can reduce the risk of transmission by a carrier obviously many may be carriers without knowing it and not wearing masks
    Regular washing of hands with suitable fluids together with other hygiene measures are an extremely effective preventative measure
    There is NO reliable and comprehensive agreement that masks reduce the chances of a recipient contracting the virus
    Facemasks need to be worn properly and disposed off correctly

The last point is what I have a massive problem with. The tens of thousands of high and mighty mask wearers that effectively negate any perceived benefit by their actions.

Like so many other debates on here too many people are polarised in their views on masks.

In consideration of the above, unless circumstances or evidence changes I’m in the non wearing mask camp. That doesn’t mean I disagree if people choose to wear them but the same cannot be said in reverse.

Quote Originally Posted by hannah01:
    and most importantly how strong our immune system is !
    and the more ‘hygienic’ or ‘germ phobic’ you are the higher your chances of a weakening immune system.

In all seriousness, the people from Sinosphere nations are genetically predisposed to NOT COVER their mouths when sneezing or coughing. They also enjoy spitting a lot thanks to the nasty cigarettes they smoke. It is because of this they would like people to wear masks as fear leads to behavioural changes faster than manners.

Quote Originally Posted by DimSumBond:
    In all seriousness, the people from Sinosphere nations are genetically predisposed to NOT COVER their mouths when sneezing or coughing. They also enjoy spitting a lot thanks to the nasty cigarettes they smoke. It is because of this they would like people to wear masks as fear leads to behavioural changes faster than manners.
    Dare I ask, are you in your 70s or 80s? Some of your comments remind me of things a few elderly colonial types tend to mutter when they feel like no one else can hear what they're saying. Or they're trying to wind people around them up...

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Dare I ask, are you in your 70s or 80s? Some of your comments remind me of things a few elderly colonial types tend to mutter when they feel like no one else can hear what they're saying. Or they're trying to wind people around them up...
    I am not. It is factual and the current Covid-19 panic is helping to educate the masses because the masses have an ingrained interest to learn - i.e. their lives.

Why would this be winding people up? I do not think any expat into the Sinosphere doubts what I wrote is false? I will apologise if I am wrong here.

Genetically predisposed? Seriously?

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms:
    Genetically predisposed? Seriously?

I am not. It is factual and the current Covid-19 panic is helping to educate the masses because the masses have an ingrained interest to learn - i.e. their lives.

Why would this be winding people up? I do not think any expat into the Sinosphere doubts what I wrote is false? I will apologise if I am wrong here.
    Genetically predisposed? Are you going to tell us that the virus also only affects Asians? If anything, I've seen only older people do it, and it's I think a cultural thing.

As for masks, I think wearing a mask basically is something we have to live with now. Annoying as heck, but temporary. Bright side is we're inhaling less pollution. Downsides are:
    1) foggy lens (since wearing glasses can block people spitting in your eye), more people wear glasses now
    2) smelling your own breath (inevitable, and sucks after a while lol). I learned to breath with nose only.
    3) doesn't offer full protection
    4) annoying to have to wear a new one every day (waste, cost, having to buy a ton, etc)

So my solutions:
    A) Wear the bike dust ones. I'm not in a hospital ward, I don't need to dispose every day. In fact most likely it's pointless anyway. But then you don't want to risk that 1% chance or whatever it is that your community may have an infected person. Also still can fog up glasses and gets kinda hot if walking around in it a lot.
    B) Wear a half face respirator. Major overkill and not a proper solution. But since it's mostly cosmetics anyway, I think it's fine. Downside is it's overkill, looks kinda crazy. Good things are doesn't smell, can use for a long time, and don't need to stock on masks. Also you can go as crazy as possible, blocking all kinds of organic vapors etc, and go up to P100. Also another benefit is you don't have to inhale any smells. The toilet may be stinky, but you are only smelling neutral filtered air. It's quite amazing.
    C) Wearing a Trend respirator - still NIOSH to N100, but that's it. Nothing organic or blocks water. Still looks like overkill, but less bulky compared to a half face respirator. But seems to get in the way of glasses. Replacement filters are also pricey even though they do less than the 3M ones. I'd strongly consider this as well if I did not already get A and B. Seriously what am I going to do with all these masks later.

Bright side is, during house cleaning or painting whatever, I will never be short of masks lol.
    AsianXpat0 and HK_Katherine like this.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast