Like Tree9Likes

Covid-19: HK Airport Screening

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    In Beijing all International travellers have to go into quarantine. A sensible policy.
    Are you suggesting HK should adopt this for all cross boundary movements of people. It was repeatedly stated as being an anti-Chinese measure and against the needs of the state clearly showing a need for article 23 when the medical staff went on strike for the exact same sensible measure.
    Last edited by East_coast; 15-03-2020 at 05:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    Health form needs to be filled in. Some people were being questioned right at the gate,most not. Temperature checks as you walk through (per normal). Area between walkways and ID card machines now filled with lanes - two gates - 1) No health issues 2) if you have a fever or other issues. We went through 1). There someone checked our form. Then we walked forward and it was checked again and taken. Then right before we got to the ID machines, we were asked if we had been to any of these countries (list posted on a pole). Said, no, walk to ID machines and it was over.

Airport is empty. Whole thing added about 30 seconds.

Was it stringent, did they ask for any proof? No. So liars will get through as long as they don't have a fever. Given how few flights there are though, it's possible the people at the gate of the plane would be more numerous for a flight arriving from a problem destination. I came in from KL which is not an issue as yet.
    https://twitter.com/1AmyChew/...20332771840000

You might want to note how the mosque supercluster affects the viability of KL as a bolt hole for you in the near future.

There are no "bolt holes". We are now in a world where everywhere is dangerous and we are all probably going to get the virus (or at least most of us). The issue - the ONLY issue frankly, left - is how to manage the spread in such a way that health systems can cope. Countries which claim to have "contained" it... like HK and Singapore and now much of China.... risk a "second peak" if they ease up even a little. Everywhere else is just going downhill fast. The UK's idea to keep all 70+ year olds at home for 4 months is at least as impractical as any other I have heard.

Original Post Deleted
    wrong thread but I see nothing in here about them being allowed out. The implication from what is said is that they would not be venturing out.

The friends and family can visit but stay 6 feet apart was not in the earlier report so that is better. No mention of carers. I assume they will be allowed.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-51895873

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    wrong thread but I see nothing in here about them being allowed out. The implication from what is said is that they would not be venturing out.

The friends and family can visit but stay 6 feet apart was not in the earlier report so that is better. No mention of carers. I assume they will be allowed.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-51895873
    They can go out, but at their own risk. Rightly or wrongly this is the approach the UK is taking. Those at low risk will face fewer restrictions, they'll most likely catch covid, they'll most certainly recover...while all this is going on at risk groups (elderly, diabetics etc.) will be expected to practice extreme social distancing. If they don't, they'll be mingling with a population with a much higher incidence of infection than other countries.

It's a high risk strategy, if it works it will be masterstroke, if it doesn't it will be a change of Government.

More detailed explanation here:

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1...651649538.html

Just got off the phone to my (elderly) mother. Her view is that the Government is "trying to lock people up" and is totally indignant. Mostly likely will ignore it completely. Many folks in the other thread said "parents would not let their kids deliberately catch it" (ie citing human behaviour over something that might be logical) - the UK Gov't is doing exactly the same with this strategy - assuming it can enforce human behaviour when people (and, frankly, particularly BRITISH people) are going to do the opposite. At least when you legally confine a whole population you have control. I can't see this being a "legal" confinement, more "advisory".... hence probably useless.

non - medical opinion, evidence suggests that all UK elderly care homes (also called sheltered housing in UK) and similar high-risk facilities, and should be already be isolated, immediately, there is no excuse for delay.