Like Tree189Likes

Covid-19: HK Schools Shutdown

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by henkka:
    Yes. The impression I got is that if the precious Chinese students can't go to school, then no-one can.
    I thought most if not all the cross border students are permanent residents. Am I missing something here?
    civil_servant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    I thought most if not all the cross border students are permanent residents. Am I missing something here?
    But they don't necessarily have a permanent HK address. If their home is in Shenzhen then do they have to move into a hotel in HK for the rest of the school term? Otherwise they can't get around the quarantine.
    imparanoic likes this.

My impression is that the china border crossing are still mostly closed(?), isn't Shenzhen bay the only one open? So, those would need to be opened up.

Secondly, don't you need to self quarantine if you come from china? That obviously would need change prior to the kids from china being able to hk for school.
    imparanoic likes this.

That is why as someone said earlier - border and quarantine issues need to be resolved before schools are opened.

My comment was based on the "precious chinese" snark...

coffee_break and DennisMilano like this.

Also, local and international school students who are overseas - for whatever reason, need to be brought back and quarantined before they can attend school. I suspect if schools are to be reopened we'll also have to see some sort of resumption of international flights, preparation for a third wave screening process at various entry points etc.

Which is why I have low hopes of schools resuming this term - perhaps a slightly early resumption in August / post summer.

David4Maths and Mrs. Jones like this.

Also, local and international school students who are overseas - for whatever reason, need to be brought back and quarantined before they can attend school. I suspect if schools are to be reopened we'll also have to see some sort of resumption of international flights, preparation for a third wave screening process at various entry points etc.

Which is why I have low hopes of schools resuming this term - perhaps a slightly early resumption in August / post summer.
    I'd be shocked if that was taken into consideration. It will be quite a minority at this point even within international schools who are still abroad.

Original Post Deleted
    I agree - partially.

However, from a policy and politics view - this will come into play.

Anyways, I have no benefit either way. Our school has pretty much given up on year 13 students, as they would have had their curriculum finished by now in regular times and given that the public international exams (IB / A Levels etc) are cancelled - they've been basically told to stay home and play animal farm and do whatever else that prepares them for uni.
    DennisMilano likes this.

Why prevent everyone from going to school because some are not present in hongkong? That just doesn't add up to me.

Here in Taiwan they didn't close the schools because some kids were stranded in Thailand or wherever, I don't see why it should be any different in hongkong.

I would point out the reports that some children turning up for the DSE are being refused on fever issues and some ( maybe stress related ) removed for sickness actually in the exam. So, how many professionals ( who have a public not geoexpat profile ) and are legally responsible for the safety and welfare of YOUR children ( not just online procrastinators ) will put themselves on the line, when. anyone who is a parent knows from personal experience, that ANY epidemic, pan or otherwise, can go from one child to a hundred in a day in any school. Even with masks and sanitiser.

Would those who want an early resumption make the call to have a press conference, make their claims and then underwrite the HK bill if their beliefs are found to be bogus? Of course not and that is why governments are conservative beasts.

For us and I would suggest most parents, we would find our kids going back for half days ( which is what it will be ) even more disruptive that just having them at home and taught online.

Mr Chips likes this.

they've been basically told to stay home and play animal farm and do whatever else that prepares them for uni.
    Play Animal Farm to prepare for the Orwellian times ahead?

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast