Like Tree198Likes

Covid-19: Home & Hotel Quarantine Wristbands & Apps etc...

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by alexdown:
    Agree, bad idea.
    But what is the alternative? Probably you are denied entry. Can they? Can you stir up a fuss at the border and demand to be quarantined in a government center?
    I'd imagine they'll pass the message to the police guarding the complex you'll be quarantined to...and we know how police behaved in the past few months. Will you risk?
    I'd rather factory reset the phone right there, then install the app...
    They can't deny entry to permanent residents, that much is sure, and probably neither to holders of valid visa. The alternative might be to quarantine you at a government facility, but I have no idea what they actually do.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    What is the legal basis to install a tracking device on your own phone without a warrant? The courts have been quite clear that a warrant is needed to unlock your phone. The government could easily provide you with a cheap phone with the apps pre-installed. Allowing the government to install some third party app, presumably made in China, sounds like a really bad idea.
    Even if I bought a new phone today I have zero comfort that from the time it is switched on tracking by any government or intelligence agency isn’t already happening. Tech not being one of my strong points so maybe an expert can give me some comfort. Courts can say what they want here and abroad. I’m guessing ‘National security’ wins the day
    sv336 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Limited number of hotels offering rooms to those who are being quarantined.

Call ahead if you need to be quarantined... don't just walk into any hotel and lie about your whereabouts. Also, I do hope hotels also self declare that they have quarantined guests on premises.
    Do you have some names of these hotels?

I suppose to come back to HK in April. I have to fly back because of my visa so no choice... Any guidance on this quarantine policy? How to order food etc? 

They can't deny entry to permanent residents, that much is sure, and probably neither to holders of valid visa. The alternative might be to quarantine you at a government facility, but I have no idea what they actually do.
    I think they can always cancel a visa at the airport. From Border Security "As we have cancelled your visa ...."

Also my wife had a visa from Immigration Tower but the airport immigration still pulled her into the interrogation room and when I pointed out she had just been given a visa to enter they said "we are different".
    mrgoodkat likes this.

Dorsett hotels are offering special quarantine package for 14 and 27 days -

jgl, shri, MatthieuTofu and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by alexdown:
    Maybe the the bracelet is a passive RFID tag that is "associated" to a phone when you register... hence, they track you via the phone not the bracelet
    wearing one of these right now and seeing how the app works, i am pretty sure this is how it works

Quote Originally Posted by cookie09:
    wearing one of these right now and seeing how the app works, i am pretty sure this is how it works
    Did they offer you the chance to refuse to install their Chinese trojan app?

Isn’t it just wechat or WhatsApp?

Per info published some time ago, (1) certain arrivals are mandatory to go to government-run facilities, like inbounds from those Northern Italy provinces, (2) people may ask to be placed into gov-run facilities. Although, likewise, I haven't read any actual reliable stuff of what an individual can / must do upon arrival.

Did they offer you the chance to refuse to install their Chinese trojan app?
    Nope and frankly I couldn’t be bothered at the time with a family in tow and sleepy kids
    shri, jgl, mrgoodkat and 1 others like this.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast