Like Tree183Likes

Covid-19: Home & Hotel Quarantine Wristbands & Apps etc...

Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast

Covid-19: Home & Hotel Quarantine Wristbands & Apps etc...

A couple of pointers to how this will work, since we expect a fair few people will be returning over the next few days from overseas.

List of hotels being shared - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...IuAaHZrs#gid=0

Enter HK and provide the govt with trackable information or wear a bracelet (not sure what the capabilities of this are)

More first hand into here - https://geoexpat.com/forum/342/threa...ml#post3706097

Name:  Screenshot 2020-03-18 at 11.17.19 AM.png
Views: 2893
Size:  294.4 KB

Images taken from:

https://twitter.com/tara_mulholland/...86128896454657

Last edited by shri; 23-03-2020 at 12:25 PM.

jgl

The guy's description doesn't really add up. Waking around your apartment with a phone... the accuracy and granularity of phone based tracking isn't that fine. And what looks like a plastic hospital ID bracelet doesn't have battery capacity for last multiple weeks. I've played with GPS and BT based trackers before and they had serious flaws.

More details would certainly be interesting.

BCD likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    The guy's description doesn't really add up. Waking around your apartment with a phone... the accuracy and granularity of phone based tracking isn't that fine. And what looks like a plastic hospital ID bracelet doesn't have battery capacity for last multiple weeks. I've played with GPS and BT base trackers before and they had serious flaws.

More details would certainly be interesting.
    I suspect it is related to cell phone towers or something else. When we got a smartone home, which in reality a 3G phone, I was asked to do the same - walk around the house while I was on the phone with them. Not sure if it was to ensure that I had good voice quality of if they were locking down what cell towers they could isolate the phone too.

(They don't do this anymore... but just saying)

There might be more info here:

So far, 5,000 reusable wristbands produced by the centre are readily available and another 60,000 disposable wristbands have been procured from the market, 5,000 of which were delivered and tested and the remaining 55,000 will be delivered in batches.
    The mobile app helps analyse the change in communication signals with artificial intelligence and big data.

Used together with the electronic wristbands since March 14 and proven effective, the solution application will be adopted for people to be put under compulsory quarantine. In case anyone under quarantine leaves the dwelling place, the Department of Health and Police will be alerted to take follow-up action.

This solution application fits well for compulsory home quarantine as the technology is most suitable for use in an indoor environment and the wristband is waterproof, a perfect demonstration of applying local technological development for the benefit of local people.

The decision on the technologies to be used in monitoring was made on a risk-based approach.

During the quarantine period, various measures are used to ensure compliance, including real-time location sharing by people under quarantine via WhatsApp or WeChat.

https://www.news.gov.hk/eng/2020/03/...02554_111.html
    jgl likes this.

better than nothing I guess, but pouring water into "U trap" (if you can find the right places) shown in that graphic is not going to help the people in older buildings without U traps, or buildings with shitty drainage systems if you live or work below.

employers are responsible for H&S at work, I wonder how H&S will be applied to people told to work from home.

Limited number of hotels offering rooms to those who are being quarantined.

Call ahead if you need to be quarantined... don't just walk into any hotel and lie about your whereabouts. Also, I do hope hotels also self declare that they have quarantined guests on premises.

TaD_LaLa likes this.

Kiz

It seems a bit strange that all these self quarantined people will be staying presumably at home for the most part with other people, but their household don't seem to have to quarantine with them?

HK_Katherine and kimwy66 like this.

What is the legal basis to install a tracking device on your own phone without a warrant? The courts have been quite clear that a warrant is needed to unlock your phone. The government could easily provide you with a cheap phone with the apps pre-installed. Allowing the government to install some third party app, presumably made in China, sounds like a really bad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    I suspect it is related to cell phone towers or something else. When we got a smartone home, which in reality a 3G phone, I was asked to do the same - walk around the house while I was on the phone with them. Not sure if it was to ensure that I had good voice quality of if they were locking down what cell towers they could isolate the phone too.

(They don't do this anymore... but just saying)
    Maybe the the bracelet is a passive RFID tag that is "associated" to a phone when you register... hence, they track you via the phone not the bracelet

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    Allowing the government to install some third party app, presumably made in China, sounds like a really bad idea.
    Agree, bad idea.
    But what is the alternative? Probably you are denied entry. Can they? Can you stir up a fuss at the border and demand to be quarantined in a government center?
    I'd imagine they'll pass the message to the police guarding the complex you'll be quarantined to...and we know how police behaved in the past few months. Will you risk?
    I'd rather factory reset the phone right there, then install the app...

Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast