Like Tree93Likes

Covid-19: 03/19 (Thu) - HK News

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by Peaky:
    This is going to get really complicated once large numbers have had the virus and recovered.

The current official advice in the UK is that if a member of the family has the virus they are allowed out of lockdown after 7 days, while the rest of the household has to make it to day 14, or day 7 of their own symptoms, whatever comes first. So there must be some confidence of immunity lasting at least for a while.

Eventually we might need to have a proof of prior infection for return to offices etc. Which then creates some "interesting" incentives for low risk people to go out and get themselves over it quickly.

Can HK prop up the real economy and maintain the peg to an ever higher valued USD for an extended period... Seems unlikely to me...
    Perhaps. But it isn't complicated right now. The whole fucking social distancing practice relies on concensus.

#staythefuckhome
    spode likes this.

Is the USD "ever higher valued"?
    Struggling to find any unpegged currencies the USD hasn't significantly appreciated against lately... Money is pouring into safe haven cash and cash equivalents.

Struggling to find any unpegged currencies the USD hasn't significantly appreciated against lately... Money is pouring into safe haven cash and cash equivalents.
    Struggling to see why I should give a fuck...

Cheery today aren't you? I'm just trying to think a bit beyond the immediate clear need for social distancing and how this might play out down the line. The enormous hardship this is already bringing to millions in HK running or employed by small business is undeniable.

But if you just want to live it out day to day and not give a fuck about anything but staying home that's all good with me.

shri and AliT like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornmeal:
    Struggling to see why I should give a fuck...
    Come back when you have a GBP pension paid locally in HKD ,,,,, Painfull.

Quote Originally Posted by David4Maths:
    Tell me about it. Pension due on Monday, any chance of a miraculous Sterling recovery? I used to get 95 Peso to the Pound. Now I get 59. So much for a weak Peso.

Cheery today aren't you? I'm just trying to think a bit beyond the immediate clear need for social distancing and how this might play out down the line. The enormous hardship this is already bringing to millions in HK running or employed by small business is undeniable.

But if you just want to live it out day to day and not give a fuck about anything but staying home that's all good with me.
    Quote Originally Posted by David4Maths:
    Fair enough, and apologies for my surliness, I think money matters should not be in the HK virus thread and it should stick to news more directly related to the virus, health, and local measures being taken.

Also a firm believer that it is the worldwide obsession with putting the "economy" above all else is what got us into this mess.
    Mefisto likes this.