Like Tree604Likes

To Mask or Not To Mask

Page 19 of 46 FirstFirst ... 11 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 27 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    How many f'ing surfaces are these in the street or a hiking trail FFS?
    Can I suggest you use some of that hand sanitiser on your tongue... you're developing quite a potty mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Chips:
    Can I suggest you use some of that hand sanitiser on your tongue... you're developing quite a potty mouth.
    Potty mouth lol, grow the fuck up. There's a reason why you've been banned, what is the count now - 5 -6 times. And it's not because you're a paragon of virtuousness

It is very clear that 90 percent+ of people substantially negate any protection masks provide against acquired infection to themselves by touching them all the time, smoking, re-using, thinking a jiffy bag at meal times makes everything ok etc etc.

But after 21 pages of not agreeing, I have an honest question - why aren't we seeing any(?) governments outside the sinosphere ramping up mask production and getting everyone to wear one when out and about for essential tasks? It really wouldn't be that hard compared to converting car assembly lines to ventilator production etc.

Even if it is just about negating a reasonable percentage of droplet spread surely it is worth a go to further flatten the curve.

A month ago I'd have said people in Europe and US would be averse to looking stupid, but we're getting used to seeing people wearing them out and about occasionally, and everyone's accepted far greater intrusion into their lives and liberties than masks without much complaint.

So is there a scientific disagreement on effectiveness, a feeling it would lead to complacency, or what?

TigerSun likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Peaky:
    It is very clear that 90 percent+ of people substantially negate any protection masks provide against acquired infection to themselves by touching them all the time, smoking, re-using, thinking a jiffy bag at meal times makes everything ok etc etc.

But after 21 pages of not agreeing, I have an honest question - why aren't we seeing any(?) governments outside the sinosphere ramping up mask production and getting everyone to wear one when out and about for essential tasks? It really wouldn't be that hard compared to converting car assembly lines to ventilator production etc.

Even if it is just about negating a reasonable percentage of droplet spread surely it is worth a go to further flatten the curve.

A month ago I'd have said people in Europe and US would be averse to looking stupid, but we're getting used to seeing people wearing them out and about occasionally, and everyone's accepted far greater intrusion into their lives and liberties than masks without much complaint.

So is there a scientific disagreement on effectiveness, a feeling it would lead to complacency, or what?
    I think they are ramping up but for medical staff first. Those are the people who really need them. If you use social isolation you don't need masks.

What will be interesting is whether they move toward mask use after the initial wave is under control.

Original Post Deleted
    I think you're the idiot. Maybe I shouldn't have worded it like that, but the point is the mask's main use isn't to protect one form contracting the virus, however its still better than nothing and prevents one from touching their nose and mouth directly. (Yes you can contract it via the eyes but the risk is still minimized).

Apart from quoting that part of my text, you have no other argument?

People touch their face around 23 times per hour around 40% of these you touch a 'wet' area such as your eyes, nose and mouth. After you touch these wet areas you'll touch a surface other people will subsequently touch.

So with a mask a lot of wet touching is eradicated. From around 10 per hour to 1.

About 5 million hours per day is spent commuting in so it reduces the potential wet zone to public surface from 50 million to 5 million.

Also if you wash your hands after taking your mask off the risk is reduced again,

Do masks reduce risk - Yes
    Do masks eradicate risk - Obviously not

Last edited by East_coast; 28-03-2020 at 05:55 PM.
    Cornmeal and Plutark like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Peaky:

Masks are worn commonly now in the Philippines and imports if not production (I don't know if it has been) ramped up. We are not part of the Sinosphere.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Masks are worn commonly now in the Philippines and imports if not production (I don't know if it has been) ramped up. We are not part of the Sinosphere.
    The Japanese and the koreans also wear masks
    Now all the koreans wear masks after the outbreak started

Wooosh....page 21 and counting.....!

East_coast and gigglinggal like this.

Excerpt from todays regulations about no groups:

...."On a personal level, members of the public should wear a surgical mask when having respiratory symptoms, taking public transport or staying in crowded places."

Page 19 of 46 FirstFirst ... 11 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 27 ... LastLast