Like Tree261Likes

Covid-19: April Week 1 Discussions

Closed Thread
Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by justjoe86:
    Most alarming is that they are NOT applying this compulsory testing and quarantine rule to those returning from China. They are literally the only country exempt from this widespread rule. Tell me that isn't for political reasons and to save face, please.
    It is a stupid rule. Also the lack of transparency on the who has a free waiver and can still travel back and too across the border. Some basic numbers would be helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Aramis:
    I'm not really interested in conspiracy theories but it is interesting to compare with Singapore which according to this chat would have ten times more tests done. I do think that it is the best place to compare to HK. They have a bit more cases but seemed to have had less stringent measures from the start. The hotter weather there may play a little in their favor.

My understanding is that there is a compulsory quarantine from anyone returning or coming from China. Are you saying it's not the case? There doesn't seem to be cases coming from there at the moment according to the positive results that are published. Am I wrong? Genuine question, no sarcasm intended.
    No compulsory testing for visitors from China.

I'm not really interested in conspiracy theories but it is interesting to compare with Singapore which according to this chat would have ten times more tests done. I do think that it is the best place to compare to HK. They have a bit more cases but seemed to have had less stringent measures from the start. The hotter weather there may play a little in their favor.

My understanding is that there is a compulsory quarantine from anyone returning or coming from China. Are you saying it's not the case? There doesn't seem to be cases coming from there at the moment according to the positive results that are published. Am I wrong? Genuine question, no sarcasm intended.
    Name:  Screenshot_20200405-122019.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  656.9 KB

Health declaration form you get as an arrival to HKIA
    eIIe likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    No compulsory testing for visitors from China.
    But the same quarantine rule applies correct? I currently don't see the testing part as unfair since as far as I know, most of the imported cases have been coming from Europe/North America. In terms of allocation of resources, it seems to make sense. In an ideal world, for sure everyone should be tested.

But the same quarantine rule applies correct? I currently don't see the testing part as unfair since as far as I know, most of the imported cases have been coming from Europe/North America. In terms of allocation of resources, it seems to make sense. In an ideal world, for sure everyone should be tested.
    I guess it is a question of trust. Does the Chinese Government put transparency above control through fear?

Are there really no pockets of outbreaks in China now?

I guess it is a question of trust. Does the Chinese Government put transparency above control through fear?

"pockets of outbreak" are a far cry from widespread community transmission we see in Europe and USA.

In an ideal world, test everyone. If there is some limitation then only test those who might have some reasonable risk factors.

The best indicator of community transmission is not number of confirmed cases, it's the number of deaths. If a country has a lot of deaths but "no cases" then it has untested community transmission. Until the actual deaths in HK rise, I don't think we need to make major changes.

I have very little faith in anything the Chinese government says but assuming that the quarantine rule applies to those coming/returning from China and that we are not seeing imported cases from there. I don't see a problem allocating more resources elsewhere at the moment.

Original Post Deleted
    So to clarify your position, every policemen that is a good person should have walked away from their jobs and pension even if that meant he/she wasn't able to support elderly parents and might need to ask their kids to drop out of university or change school. Also probably need to find a new place to live with no job because of principles. That's your position? Ok you are certainly entitled to your opinion and perhaps you would do it in their shoes. I might do it if I was young and single, I definitely would not do it in the situation above. My principles are not more important than my family but everyone has different values.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    The best indicator of community transmission is not number of confirmed cases, it's the number of deaths. If a country has a lot of deaths but "no cases" then it has untested community transmission. Until the actual deaths in HK rise, I don't think we need to make major changes.
    Death rates are a clear indicator but has a significant lag. It needs to be a mixture of both recording deaths and community testing. HK is not short of resources and administering testing in a very targeted way. It has capacity to test incoming visitors. I would guess getting a positive result from a visitor from China at the border would be a little difficult to explain.
    AsianXpat0 and HK_Katherine like this.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    "pockets of outbreak" are a far cry from widespread community transmission we see in Europe and USA.

In an ideal world, test everyone. If there is some limitation then only test those who might have some reasonable risk factors.

The death rate tells you the infection situation two to four weeks ago. Given the speed the situation changes then using it as the sole or main indicator leads to clearly flawed analysis and policy making.

Closed Thread
Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast