Like Tree261Likes

Covid-19: April Week 1 Discussions

Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast

Covid-19: April Week 1 Discussions

This is a nice piece from Sir David Spiegelhalter.

The lines show the annual likelihood of dying in a normal year.
    The dots show the calculated likelihood of dying within a two week period if infected by coronavirus.

Basically it shows that roughly speaking we might say that getting COVID-19 is like packing a year's worth of mortality risk into a week or two.

It also means:
    - at a best case and (very unlikely) scenario, it is possible that all the people who die from coronavirus would be the same people who would have died anyway
    - at worst case, the average reduction of life expectancy of each person contracting COVID is roughly one year. If people can get reinfected then if you get an infection once a year then on average your remaining life expectancy is roughly halved.

[IMG]https://miro.medium.com/max/1742/1*so9fAuL2l_TNE9BHHfDCDw.png[/IMG]

Full link below
    https://medium.com/wintoncentre/how-...t-4539118e1196

Last edited by shri; 30-03-2020 at 11:20 AM.
    Eva C, AsianXpat0 and HK_Katherine like this.

I have a new family member in the US that works as a doctor in a rural area. Apparently, she doesn't wear a mask. "Not that helpful". Its just a matter if time until they get infected, I think. (I wondered if she ever used one...)

But then there were these two nurses here who aided the maskless police officer who now have symptoms...

This spells it out, plain and simple.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhNo_IOPOtU

TigerSun likes this.

Cornmeal, Eva C, TigerSun and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    I have a new family member in the US that works as a doctor in a rural area. Apparently, she doesn't wear a mask. "Not that helpful". Its just a matter if time until they get infected, I think. (I wondered if she ever used one...)

But then there were these two nurses here who aided the maskless police officer who now have symptoms...

Kevin Readel, a veteran nurse in Oklahoma, told me that he put on the procedural mask on while inserting an intravenous line in a patient’s room. The mask was one that he had kept with him from months earlier. Within 30 minutes, Readel said, his supervisor called him with a warning; don’t wear a mask again because it will cause fear for patients and nurses. Readel said he was adamant that he couldn’t be told not to wear a mask, ever.

“I was sent home that same day and told to show up to human resources two days later. When I showed up, they told me I would be terminated immediately. They claimed it was about insubordination and not about refusing to take off the mask, but I can tell you the entire discussion we had centered around me causing hysteria by wearing a mask.”

Readel has since filed a lawsuit that is ongoing. “I’ve worked very hard for all my life and I don’t change jobs. This really took me by surprise.” (The hospital that Readel worked at provided a statement earlier stating that they are “following CDC guidelines on infection prevention and infection control including the proper use of face masks and personal protective equipment.”)
    https://blogs.scientificamerican.com...wearing-masks/

Just saw this on YT and even though its a few days old, the US regardless how hard it works to contain the virus will still get fecked if Mexico doesnt take any action, imagine how many people cross the border daily and the attitude of the US Air stewardess in the video is a serious

Last edited by shri; 30-03-2020 at 02:25 PM.
    AsianXpat0 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by aquaman:
    Interesting development; I hadn't heard this before:
    "The latest biological findings on SARS-Cov-2 viral entry into human tissue and cough-droplet ballistics suggest that the major transmission mechanism are not fine aerosols but large droplets, and thus, warrant the wearing of surgical masks by everyone."
    TigerSun and Jackie1 like this.

The next time you trust some f'ing rando with a "Dr" in his name... on YouTube or wherever...

Yes, I've confirmed, this is not from The Onion.

Name:  3780.jpg
Views: 1400
Size:  151.8 KB

An Australian astrophysicist has been admitted to hospital after getting four magnets stuck up his nose in an attempt to invent a device that stops people touching their faces during the coronavirus outbreak.

Dr Daniel Reardon, a research fellow at Melbourne’s Swinburne University, was building a necklace that sounds an alarm on facial contact, when the mishap occurred on Thursday night.

The 27 year-old astrophysicist, who studies pulsars and gravitational waves, said he was trying to liven up the boredom of self-isolation with the four powerful neodymium magnets.
    https://www.theguardian.com/australi...box=1585544814
    greenmark, JAherbert, eIIe and 4 others like this.

Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast