Like Tree119Likes

Covid-19: 04/4-5 (Fri/Sat) HK News and Discussions

Reply
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7
  1. #61

    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    3,201

    This letter to the SCMP is excellent in summarizing how HK people feel about the government and their response to the virus:

    https://www.scmp.com/comment/letters...irus-battle-it

    Hong Kong’s latest large-scale coronavirus regulations took effect over the weekend and will stay in place for two weeks at least. The measures include catering restrictions, closures of various public premises, and limiting social gatherings to four people at most. These came after leading microbiologist Dr Ho Pak-leung warned that public hospital medical services could collapse unless curfew-level measures were introduced, amid growing public consent for tougher measures. But why do many still strongly oppose the measures?

    Allegations of unfair law enforcement surfacing all over the city could be a reason. At least two pro-democracy “yellow” restaurants have complained of disruptive police inspections. It is hard not to relate this to the poor attitude of the Hong Kong Police Force.


    At the same time, the regulations at first were seen as less-than-comprehensive, restricting attendance at six types of establishments including cinemas, restaurants and public gyms, but leaving out mahjong parlours, mainly run by triads seen as
    pro-Beijing, nightclubs and karaoke lounges. These were hurriedly included only five days later, when an infection cluster was traced back to a karaoke lounge. This is how ordinary citizens feel unfairly treated.

    At the heart of discontent is the administration’s lack of legitimacy. In the last eight months, Hongkongers have deepened their civic consciousness. It is clear that this administration is not representative and not authorised by the general public, and its actions will only be criticised.

    Hongkongers are less tolerant of mistakes from an administration that does not act in its favour, and which they feel is not their own. Rather, Hongkongers’ loyalty is inspired by government officials such as Dr Chuang Shuk-kwan, head of the communicable disease branch of the Centre for Health Protection, who has reportedly not taken time off for more than 50 consecutive days, and others like her who weather public criticism on behalf of their boss, Chief Executive Carrie Lam Cheng Yuet-ngor. We salute you!


  2. #62

    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    3,201
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornmeal:
    Sure vitriol. She consistently pushes nonsensical ideas and abysmal advice.
    I know its tempting, but let's not get personal and stick to the topic and argument.
    Kowloon72 and Elegiaque like this.

  3. #63

    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    204

    New case #845 (Hospitalised)
    Identified as an IMPORTED case but didn't start fever until 10 DAYS after returning to HK.
    Is this common? I thought that 3-5 days was a typical incubation period.

    The patient has good past health and lives in Pakistan. After returning to Hong Kong on March 21, he has been under compulsory home quarantine. On March 31, he started having a fever.

  4. #64

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Pampanga, Philippines
    Posts
    21,715
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyresmoke:
    New case #845 (Hospitalised)
    Identified as an IMPORTED case but didn't start fever until 10 DAYS after returning to HK.
    Is this common? I thought that 3-5 days was a typical incubation period.
    There is typical and then there is the range which is 2 to 14 days or even longer.

  5. #65

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    10,564
    Quote Originally Posted by Doydbadyerd:
    Seriously, is that language necessary?
    Aha but I have him on ignore so I only see his posts when someone quotes them LOL

  6. #66

    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    3,201
    Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    Aha but I have him on ignore so I only see his posts when someone quotes them LOL
    Can't we all just get along and not let dispute and disagreements get personal?

  7. #67

    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    2,786
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyresmoke:
    New case #845 (Hospitalised)
    Identified as an IMPORTED case but didn't start fever until 10 DAYS after returning to HK.
    Is this common? I thought that 3-5 days was a typical incubation period.
    I believe it’s not uncommon.

    https://mobile.twitter.com/sanverde/...89446007230465

    I wonder if there’s either a deeper reason for this, or something we are not being told given “foreigners” who got in before the ban were I assume quarantined for 14 days first...

    (According to the individual in question, he hasn’t even been outside Beijing since October)
    Coolboy likes this.

  8. #68

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Hong Kong side
    Posts
    1,445
    Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    This letter to the SCMP is excellent in summarizing how HK people feel about the government and their response to the virus:

    https://www.scmp.com/comment/letters...irus-battle-it

    Hong Kong’s latest large-scale coronavirus regulations took effect over the weekend and will stay in place for two weeks at least. The measures include catering restrictions, closures of various public premises, and limiting social gatherings to four people at most. These came after leading microbiologist Dr Ho Pak-leung warned that public hospital medical services could collapse unless curfew-level measures were introduced, amid growing public consent for tougher measures. But why do many still strongly oppose the measures?

    Allegations of unfair law enforcement surfacing all over the city could be a reason. At least two pro-democracy “yellow” restaurants have complained of disruptive police inspections. It is hard not to relate this to the poor attitude of the Hong Kong Police Force.


    At the same time, the regulations at first were seen as less-than-comprehensive, restricting attendance at six types of establishments including cinemas, restaurants and public gyms, but leaving out mahjong parlours, mainly run by triads seen as
    pro-Beijing, nightclubs and karaoke lounges. These were hurriedly included only five days later, when an infection cluster was traced back to a karaoke lounge. This is how ordinary citizens feel unfairly treated.

    At the heart of discontent is the administration’s lack of legitimacy. In the last eight months, Hongkongers have deepened their civic consciousness. It is clear that this administration is not representative and not authorised by the general public, and its actions will only be criticised.

    Hongkongers are less tolerant of mistakes from an administration that does not act in its favour, and which they feel is not their own. Rather, Hongkongers’ loyalty is inspired by government officials such as Dr Chuang Shuk-kwan, head of the communicable disease branch of the Centre for Health Protection, who has reportedly not taken time off for more than 50 consecutive days, and others like her who weather public criticism on behalf of their boss, Chief Executive Carrie Lam Cheng Yuet-ngor. We salute you!
    Yeah the guys at centre of health protection are world class : we have had widespread. Testing since forever : wards converted to three ties isolate : Bluetooth track : quarantine camps : border security but allow goods through driver health surveillance : active cluster detection and eradicate : masks distancing all before fashionable : they even gave WHO the finger early on when it was clear WHO just weren't up to the task : now the world class processing centre for arrivals at the Asia world Expo site went live yesterday :all in all I for one am proud of these guys a. Centre for health protection and hospital authority : quiet heroes actually: proof of the pudding is in the eating : look at our figures per million : and we were next door to the epicentre without months of warning Europe and America had

  9. #69

    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    2,786
    https://news.rthk.hk/rthk/en/compone...abChangeable=0

    Officials said she'd had a fever during the latter days of her quarantine period, but didn't report it to the authorities.

    The centre's Chuang Shuk-kwan said throat and rectal samples from the body tested negative for Covid-19. T
    But she refused to confirm some media reports that her family had provided some Chinese medicine during the quarantine.
    Coolboy likes this.

  10. #70

    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    3,201
    Original Post Deleted
    How's that gonna affect protest suppression...interesting.

Reply
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7