Like Tree18Likes

To clap or not to clap

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I think for the people clapping to show genuine appreciation for medical workers, that’s perfectly understandable, and we should appreciate that they care to be grateful to our medics. Personally though, if knowing it’s involved with/hijacked for propaganda, I would decline to participate, and I suspect many did just that, if they heard about it in the first place.

Personally though, if knowing it’s involved with/hijacked for propaganda, I would decline to participate, and I suspect many did just that, if they heard about it in the first place.
    (Even though I did not clap .. because I'm a cynical bastard...)

I personally (and seriously) think that it is not worth putting restrictions on my actions if I think I am doing good, I'm behaving ethically and morally. How much can I allow good intentions to be restricted by what others think?

I know we're living in polarized times... I seriously do. It has affected me in more than one way. But I have and will continue to do what I think is right - regardless of how it is interpreted by randos.

I don't mind if a cop walking past our building thought I was appreciating him/her. I really don't. And I also don't mind if some rando was out there thinking I was appreciating our neighbour cop.

But that is me ... I am not sure if I should be posting this, because it might be hijacked and will come and bite me in the rear at some point, but I will.
    kimwy66 and Cornmeal like this.

Why does everything that happens have to have a pro or anti Beijing agenda attached to it? Are we now going to have a 30 page thread on this item as well ?

kimwy66 and chuckster007 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ByeByeEngland:
    Why does everything that happens have to have a pro or anti Beijing agenda attached to it? Are we now going to have a 30 page thread on this item as well ?
    Sadly HKSAR Government choose the Police as the vehicle lead a society unifying non-political act. Unfortunately the Police are clearly not politically neutral. What could of been a simple thank you was needlessly politicised.
    shri, AsianXpat0 and MatthieuTofu like this.

I didnt know there was such a clapping thing yesterday, my mrs and sister in law both work in the hospital and last night while having dinner, no one clapped so they didnt know either.

spread the word and clap, its better than medical people get spat on, rocks thrown at them etc, those that do that should get the virus and fucking die as painful as possible.

A mate in Manchester said

we’ve had NHS workers in our area walking home from long shifts being spat at in the face by fucking chavs !! Some people here mate are a disgrace to humanity
    These idiots deserve to get beaten by the police

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/74945890.cms

https://twitter.com/suen_dani...45369550192640

https://twitter.com/Konao4257...17524903358464

Forgive any cynical bastards noting the political motives of those behind trying to alienate the apolitical from those against the government. As noted before, I don’t judge those clapping and those not clapping as I assume their motives were pure, but the result seems perfectly obvious when somebody brings up the issue (which I personally wasn’t anxious to pursue).

To be perfectly clear, I don’t think clapping or not should be polarized. I do think that that the response would be polarized and exasperate people was predictable and exactly the intent.
    Last edited by AsianXpat0; 04-04-2020 at 01:31 PM. Reason: Added second para
    Greghouse and MatthieuTofu like this.

It gets more and more suspicious. No call for clapping tonight. I guess it's a one off thing to broadcast on Xinhua News Agency and maybe win some favours from the govt. Now would be a good time though for the HA Employees Alliance or any genuine healthcare workers support group to actually take over and organise the clapping.