Like Tree16Likes
  • 1 Post By AsianXpat0
  • 9 Post By TheBrit
  • 1 Post By justjoe86
  • 3 Post By TigerSun
  • 1 Post By kimwy66
  • 1 Post By AsianXpat0

Puzzling suicide

Reply
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    2,786

    Question Puzzling suicide

    https://mobile.twitter.com/alvinllum...30318342504448

    I wonder what’s the story behind this. If I read other sources correctly, he paid to leave immediately, and now he’s committed suicide?

    Totally baseless speculation here, but was he asked to somehow promote Article 23 or something? Or just repeatedly defend the indefensible as his daily work? Why did he need to quit if he was going to commit suicide? Who leaves a cushy civil service job in the midst of an approaching recession? Another inexplicable tragedy...
    Gatts likes this.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    20,117

    Could be anything. Suicidal people don't tend to be in a rational state of mind. Personal life? Work? Money? A combination of all three.


  3. #3

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    7,457
    Quote Originally Posted by AsianXpat0:
    Who leaves a cushy civil service job in the midst of an approaching recession? Another inexplicable tragedy...
    I guess you've never experienced depression or know anyone who has. I'm sure the world economy was the last thing on his mind and he was most likely going through emotional torture. It is indeed a tragedy but not an inexplicable one.
    traineeinvestor likes this.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    2,786
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit:
    Could be anything. Suicidal people don't tend to be in a rational state of mind. Personal life? Work? Money? A combination of all three.
    Quote Originally Posted by justjoe86:
    I guess you've never experienced depression or know anyone who has. I'm sure the world economy was the last thing on his mind and he was most likely going through emotional torture. It is indeed a tragedy but not an inexplicable one.
    I understand people are capable of irrationality, but still trying to interpret events logically (so not assuming it).

    If it were a money problem, why would he pay up to immediately leave a well-paying job? If it was a personal problem, I might understand, but why quit? It sounds most like the work was emotional torture to him, and I guess that’s exactly what I’m wondering about, as in what caused him to snap. It is of course possible some combination of personal and work problems. The government appears to be claiming he said he was leaving for personal reasons, while a different source claims he was unhappy with work and therefore paid notice to leave immediately. From paying to leave immediately on Monday to committing suicide on Saturday, I’m really curious about the emotional torture he was suffering is my point.

    Of course if it is being suggested that it was entirely due to personal problems and his actions were randomly irrational, then we can just wait for facts to out.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    7,877
    Quote Originally Posted by AsianXpat0:
    ...then we can just wait for facts to out.
    That would seem to be the thing to do.
    TheBrit, kimwy66 and shri like this.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Wrong side of the door to hell
    Posts
    6,032

    Please stop, an individual dying from suicide, especially one so recent, is not something that needs to be publicly hashed over, looking for all the juicy details to pull out, debate & decide what the person's reasons were. This is a person, with a family, not a tool to make a political point from ghoulish speculation.

    HK_Katherine likes this.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    2,786
    Quote Originally Posted by kimwy66:
    Please stop, an individual dying from suicide, especially one so recent, is not something that needs to be publicly hashed over, looking for all the juicy details to pull out, debate & decide what the person's reasons were. This is a person, with a family, not a tool to make a political point from ghoulish speculation.
    Fair enough. I was more curious than making a political point, but I accept this is coming across as ghoulish somehow. Please close the thread as appropriate with my apologies.
    TigerSun likes this.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    39

    He didn't pay up to leave. "A government source said Tam resigned for “personal reasons” and was paid in lieu of notice." https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...ecutive-office


  9. #9

    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    2,786
    Quote Originally Posted by Eva C:
    He didn't pay up to leave. "A government source said Tam resigned for “personal reasons” and was paid in lieu of notice." https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...ecutive-office
    Sorry, but this article from Unnamed SCMP reporter doesn’t explain why if he was leaving for personal reasons, he was paid in lieu of notice? Did they mean to write he paid to leave in lieu of notice rather than the other way round? Or was he fired? Taking the government source at face value especially with the way this is written doesn’t sound like reporting at all.

    Please close this thread before more questions come to mind, I just can’t help myself.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    ??
    Posts
    18,135

    Condolences to the family.

    Let's hope this is not a trend like it is in China
    https://www.scmp.com/week-asia/opini...ing-themselves