Like Tree38Likes

HK Govt Relief Measures for Covid-19

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

If you've got kids in school (including private/international schools), you can claim back $3500 from the goverment. It was originally $1000 in December last year after the protests, now increased to $3500 this year due to COVID.

You need to fill out the form in link below, get it chopped by your school, send it in to the government. The deadline for submission is 2 weeks after schools resume.

https://www.edb.gov.hk/en/student-pa...jXHS92QLpToJms

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    If you've got kids in school (including private/international schools), you can claim back $3500 from the goverment. It was originally $1000 in December last year after the protests, now increased to $3500 this year due to COVID.

You need to fill out the form in link below, get it chopped by your school, send it in to the government. The deadline for submission is 2 weeks after schools resume.

https://www.edb.gov.hk/en/student-pa...jXHS92QLpToJms
    It was originally $2,500 i believe, and then increased to $3,500.
    shri, bdw and MatthieuTofu like this.

Just a small question,

Yesterday when they announced the new gvt relief measures, It was said also in the news the following thing : "there was good news also for taxpayers too, with some one million people allowed to defer paying their bills by 3 months if they wish".
    Do somebody know who is concerned by this arrangement as nothing was really explained and i cant find anything on the inland revenue website about this new arrangement.
    Thanks in advance for all replies.

I am self employed (sole proprietor) for the past 6 years but I haven't been paying MPF due to having a retirement scheme back home. If I quickly sign up now for an MPF account, would I still be eligible for the subsidy?

Mr Chips, HK_Katherine and bbchris like this.

Quote Originally Posted by etienne43:
    Just a small question,

Yesterday when they announced the new gvt relief measures, It was said also in the news the following thing : "there was good news also for taxpayers too, with some one million people allowed to defer paying their bills by 3 months if they wish".
    Do somebody know who is concerned by this arrangement as nothing was really explained and i cant find anything on the inland revenue website about this new arrangement.
    Thanks in advance for all replies.
    I'd think there would be some sort of form being made available - both online (eTax) or offline (print / fax) shortly.

Will be on the IRD website I guess?

maybe they can reduce the road tax for cars, definitely adds on to social distancing

The capped 50%/9000 salary subsidy is too little too late. I think I saw it will probably come in July, which is I guess fast for HK government, but the small businesses that need that money would have folder already. Also, things might even be coming around by then. So the HK Gov is asking companies not to lay off people (I'm guess you can do that up until the subsidy is available?), and only covering it for low income labor. For other employees it would be better to just let them go rather than hope for the subsidy to come through in a timely manner.

Mr Chips and Kowloon72 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    maybe they can reduce the road tax for cars, definitely adds on to social distancing
    Several mass and public transportation subsidies have been launched. Keeping in mind this is not a social distancing relief..

I suspect the broader subsidies will help car owners...?
    imparanoic likes this.

Some time ago they announced that people aged 60 and up would be able to travel on MTR for $ 2- per trip. Does anyone know when this will start?

OK, well I'm self employed and pay MPF. Guess I'd better read into how much I can get.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast