Like Tree125Likes

Covid-19: Global News - Long Holiday Thread

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    So a death rate of 4% unless your health system fails due to work load?
    4% of confirmed positive tests
    East_coast likes this.

Only 1 study but confirms concerns I've had about hiking and biking when passing someone on the trails:

https://medium.com/@jurgenthoelen/be...r-a5df19c77d08

kimwy66, Mrs. Jones and timonoj like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mangoprawnsalad:
    There goes the supposed "success story"
    https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news...ghest-12624378
    A couple of weeks ago, I saw a post on LinkedIn celebrating the continuation of a major construction project in the UAE despite the coronavirus.

I asked whether the decision to proceed had considered the risk to workers' health, under current circumstances. Construction labour in the Middle East is almost exclusively imported and their accommodation in "labour camps" typically includes cramped dormitories with shared and limited showers and washing facilities.

I received just one reply, saying "of course not, construction clients don't care about the workers". I guess others were just too scared to speak openly.
    kimwy66 and chingleutsch like this.

Quote Originally Posted by justjoe86:
    4% of confirmed positive tests
    Yes. Could be lower. I did hear that see countries treat a negative test as negative even if the patient subsequently tested positive and died. Not sure if this is true.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    Yes. Could be lower. I did hear that see countries treat a negative test as negative even if the patient subsequently tested positive and died. Not sure if this is true.
    Definitely much much lower. We can be sure that many thousands have had the virus without being tested.

But of course the same bias exists with mortality rates for flu and anything else. There are also big discrepancies in different countries regarding who they test, how many, etc. These things just create fake, misleading, horrible statistics.

Examples:

In the UK they only test you if you're hospitalised. So you get a high mortality rate compared to reality.

In HK they test you if you fly to the airport. So the majority of recent cases have been overseas.

In Italy they only call it a covid19 death if you die in hospital. So deaths were massively underreported (not sure if they addressed that recently)

In many countries they just don't have enough test kits. So the numbers mean very little.

The tests themselves are unreliable in their accuracy. Etc etc

It's so difficult to draw any conclusions with all the dodgy data flying around as well as government self protective agendas. But I think 4% is extremely high based on my belief that the vast majority of people who have had the virus were never tested.

The sad fact is it is killing fuckloads of people regardless though
    East_coast and Tyresmoke like this.

More early warnings ignored?

The Liberal government of former prime minister Paul Martin embedded within its foreign policy statement a plan to beef up the Global Public Health Intelligence Network (GPHIN), a network of health professionals whose job — according to its website — is to "rapidly detect, identify, assess, prevent and mitigate threats to human health."

It was supposed to operate in conjunction with the WHO and is headquartered in Ottawa.

Wark said that, despite the best intentions, the network is hobbled by other countries' reluctance to share data and the accuracy of open-sourced media reports in a country where an outbreak occurs.

And a 2018 article, archived in the U.S. National Library of Medicine, reported that the GPHIN was in need of modernization and had turned to the National Research Council in Canada to "rejuvenate" its software, systems and tools.

Wark said Canada's pandemic early warning system is a shambles.

"We put all our faith in a system of open reporting through the WHO. We should instead have applied the old adage — trust but verify."
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/cor...528381?cmp=rss

Original Post Deleted
    It was certainly true at one point. People dying at home or in other residences outside hospital were not part of the covid19 statistics which is why graphs like this existed:

Name:  Screenshot_20200410-171201.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  258.4 KB

The top line is deaths per day.
    Middle line official covid19 deaths per day.
    Bottom line average deaths per day in previous years, before covid19.

Reason being only hopsital deaths were (at that time) counted as covid19. It suggests covid19 deaths were underreported by about 4* (although some were indirectly due to covid19's disruption of hospitals)
    HK_Katherine likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by justjoe86:
    Definitely much much lower. We can be sure that many thousands have had the virus without being tested.

But of course the same bias exists with mortality rates for flu and anything else. There are also big discrepancies in different countries regarding who they test, how many, etc. These things just create fake, misleading, horrible statistics.

Examples:

In the UK they only test you if you're hospitalised. So you get a high mortality rate compared to reality.

In HK they test you if you fly to the airport. So the majority of recent cases have been overseas.

In Italy they only call it a covid19 death if you die in hospital. So deaths were massively underreported (not sure if they addressed that recently)

In many countries they just don't have enough test kits. So the numbers mean very little.

The tests themselves are unreliable in their accuracy. Etc etc

It's so difficult to draw any conclusions with all the dodgy data flying around as well as government self protective agendas. But I think 4% is extremely high based on my belief that the vast majority of people who have had the virus were never tested.

The sad fact is it is killing fuckloads of people regardless though
    And in the UK care home deaths are not being counted, nor are those who died at home without being tested. Swings and roundabouts in terms of numbers. France only just started reporting care home deaths. Begs the question why the elderly are not being treated in hospital, would seem they have simply been abandoned to their fate.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-official-toll
    Tyresmoke likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kimwy66:
    And in the UK care home deaths are not being counted, nor are those who died at home without being tested. Swings and roundabouts in terms of numbers. France only just started reporting care home deaths. Begs the question why the elderly are not being treated in hospital, would seem they have simply been abandoned to their fate.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-official-toll
    Indeed. Same point I made about Italy. It's massively underreported because no country wants to shame themselves and are looking for loopholes. Various levels of translucency but no transparency.
    civil_servant likes this.

https://twitter.com/CambridgeCops/st...379713025?s=20

Meanwhile in the UK, don't be caught in the chocolates aisle! Somewhat over-stretching the public's goodwill by policing supermarket trolleys.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast