Like Tree67Likes

What's the chance of sanctions on HK officials under the HK H.R and Democracy Act?

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    Fair enough, I didn't actually check if they had immunity conferred anywhere before writing that. Let's just put it down as talking about two different things before we continue going around in circles about who is more wrong.
    Yes, let's move on. I want to focus on two things which I don't have answers on:

1. The potential sanctions, something which the US does have a strong basis to take action on. But just what kind of sanctions is likely? Just a minor slap on the wrist or something more meaningful?

2. Or if the US do indeed hypothetically remove immunity, what can they charge HK officials with? Not saying there are no charges possible, I just have no idea. Financial issues nailed Patrick Ho. But the US might not be able to hit similiar charges to other officials.
    Last edited by Coolboy; 19-06-2020 at 10:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    2. Or if the US do indeed hypothetically remove immunity, what can they charge HK officials with? Not saying there are no charges possible, I just have no idea.
    With whatever crime those officials have committed. But since we are talking sanctions, then lying to HSBC or any other bank would certainly be on the table. But just having sanctions on HK does not on itself lead to criminal charges for anyone.
    Coolboy likes this.

Hong Kong officials wouldn't really care. They have already moved their money to a non US affiliated bank, which would hurt US Banks more. I doubt they would want to visit the USA.

Quote Originally Posted by ArrynField:
    Hong Kong officials wouldn't really care. They have already moved their money to a non US affiliated bank, which would hurt US Banks more. I doubt they would want to visit the USA.
    If they were sanctioned that would mean they couldn't deal in USD finance. Doesn't matter which bank. So no credit cards, SWIFT or routing any payments through a third party bank in USD. They would be limited to RMB only. It wouldn't just prevent them from traveling to the US.
    Coolboy, alexdown, mucaari and 1 others like this.

It might be a tad inconvenient, but they could quite easily ask a friend or relative to transfer for them. Maybe when abroad, they could even carry loadsamoney.....

Given the joint declaration is lodged with the UN shouldn't they do something if one of the parties breaks its terms?

Coolboy and dossier like this.

The powerless elected legislative arm of the EU government talk tough.

https://news.rthk.hk/rthk/en/compone...5-20200620.htm

The unelected powerful executive branch of the EU government will actually do....

Coolboy and dossier like this.

Original Post Deleted
    You mean all those companies who moved production to China, lowering costs and increasing profits amount to nothing? It's a two way street - China got investment, technical know-how and jobs, the West got cheap products.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    I do think they are using China's breaking of an international treaty as leverage.
    That's rich. Remind me, which countries engaged in illegal invasion (Iraq, Syria, Libya, Afghanisation, etc), occupation (Iraq, Syria, Afghanisation, etc) and subversion (Ukraine, Venezuela, etc) of sovereign countries? All these actions are breaking the UN Charter, an international treaty that most nations have signed.

Wow

A lot of the pro-authoritarian posters that have been silent for months are back with gusto.

Very sad. More whataboutism, dubious statements and vitriol. Obviously now open discussion is limited making GeoExpat a lot less pleasant a place to be.

Last edited by East_coast; 03-07-2020 at 03:17 AM.

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast