Like Tree348Likes

National Security Law: Friday Edition...

Reply
Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 7 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast
  1. #141

  2. #142

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    3,806

    Has been in the making for a while, but I imagine the news about the security law made co-orporation with Huawei an untenable position. Will reduce Huawei involved to zero by 2023

    https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...ks-5g-networks

    Taxmyass likes this.

  3. #143

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    340

    I heard tonight through a good source ( not been wrong with the HK Gov school info ) that this ( putting the "law" into the BL) is getting done on Thursday. Then no doubt it will be promulgated soon after.


  4. #144

    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Hong-Kong
    Posts
    6,188

    We believe you and feel much better now that this was clarified.

    "I'm not worried about anybody being arrested by a police officer from the mainland and then taken back to China for investigation or punishment," Tam added.

    "It is not, not, not going to happen."



    https://news.rthk.hk/rthk/en/compone...abChangeable=0

  5. #145

    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    UK/HK
    Posts
    44

    Yes I have suspected Chinese police/army already quietly deployed on HK streets. I remember passing over a bridge in WTS and seeing 5 young cocky looking guys, dressed as police but they didn't look like normal young HK guys to me. My wife said they were speaking mandarin to each other. May be wrong but it didn't feel right.

    rs4 likes this.

  6. #146

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    748

    Not sure if this will find itself behind a paywall but I’ll give it a go. Chris Patten in the Times today...

    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/w...hina-bcrj5qq7d


  7. #147

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    898
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauljoecoe
    Not sure if this will find itself behind a paywall but I’ll give it a go. Chris Patten in the Times today...

    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/w...hina-bcrj5qq7d
    Is CP actually lobbying for HK with the UK Govt or just giving interviews...

  8. #148

    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    445
    Quote Originally Posted by bak875
    Is CP actually lobbying for HK with the UK Govt or just giving interviews...
    At least it's his party and he was the party's leader before he came to HK as a governor. I'd assume he still has some influence there.
    bak875 likes this.

  9. #149

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    748
    Quote Originally Posted by bak875
    Is CP actually lobbying for HK with the UK Govt or just giving interviews...
    I don’t think anyone in the UK will do much other than offer toothless verbal support, not convinced the US will do much either. Sadly, unless events have a direct impact on the west or effect them economically it will always be just words. Look at the response to Putins annexation of Crimea.

  10. #150

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Sai Kung
    Posts
    1,060
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauljoecoe
    I don’t think anyone in the UK will do much other than offer toothless verbal support, not convinced the US will do much either. Sadly, unless events have a direct impact on the west or effect them economically it will always be just words. Look at the response to Putins annexation of Crimea.
    If only HK was sitting on oil or gas fields!

    Sadly you’re right. Plenty of verbal diatribe and a few token actions but these changes are probably going to happen.

    I don’t actually think life will change too much on a daily basis. Millions survive in Singapore where challenges to the state don’t happen.

Reply
Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 7 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast