View Poll Results: At what point will you trigger your Exit HK plan?

Voters
128. You may not vote on this poll
  • as soon as the law is enacted

2 1.56%
  • I am leaving soon my exit plan is ready.

32 25.00%
  • as soon as they start arresting people with the new law.

22 17.19%
  • as soon as they start whisking people over the border.

19 14.84%
  • I've left already

21 16.41%
  • I won't leave as don't say bad things agains the CCP and I will be safe.

32 25.00%
Like Tree322Likes

HK Exit Plan Poll - At what point will you trigger your plan?

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Original Post Deleted
    i am not sure if HKer have such good living conditions and so much prospect economically, in 3/5/7 years...
    i think a good way to look at this is to ask the reportedly 300 or 400k taiwanese young people why they chose to work in mainland when they don't have that freedom and their living conditions are probably worse...
    TheRoadAhead likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    I doubt that would actually happen. Macau has had the national security law since 2009 and the last time I've checked google and facebook were all still working there.
    Macau's wasn't imposed by the NPCSC though, was it? Do they have the "joint probes" that Maria Tam seems to think are wonderful?

Original Post Deleted
    Because it is not the same. As of today Hong Kong enforces the rule of law. Why do you think most shipping contracts are based on HK law? Why is HK the 7th largest port in the world, in a tiny city that has less than 8M people?

Why do foreign investors open subsidiaries here in HK and not China? They certainly do not want to deal with Chinese courts, and the wider Chinese law. Chinese banks are also a pain to deal with, especially if you are a foreign entity. Chinese law was inherently made to put their own interests first.

As I said analyze the factors that have made HK so successful today and you will realize why there is so much potential for HK to remain prosperous in the long term. However China will open up in the next 15-20 years and I can rationally envision MNCs bypassing HK completely. I wouldn't want to be on China's bad side when that happens.
    Last edited by TheRoadAhead; 25-05-2020 at 06:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRoadAhead:
    Because it is not the same. As of today Hong Kong enforces the rule of law. Why do you think most shipping contracts are based on HK law? Why is HK the 7th largest port in the world, in a tiny city that has less than 8M people?

Why do foreign investors open subsidiaries here in HK and not China? They certainly do not want to deal with Chinese courts, and the wider Chinese law. Chinese banks are also a pain to deal with, especially if you are a foreign entity. Chinese law was made to put their own interests first.

As I said analyze the factors that have made HK so successful today and you will realize why there is so much potential for HK to remain prosperous in the long term. However China will open up in the next 15-20 years and I can rationally envision MNCs bypassing HK completely.
    All of those advantages you have cited will disappear in an instant if the national security law get's enacted. There won't be any rule of law if anyone can be arrested for some vague threats to national security. Do you think Jimmy Lai and his Next Media will still be protected by "the rule of law" after the national security legislation has been passed?
    Coolboy and Gatts like this.

B
    As I said analyze the factors that have made HK so successful today and you will realize why there is so much potential for HK to remain prosperous in the long term. However China will open up in the next 15-20 years and I can rationally envision MNCs bypassing HK completely. I wouldn't want to be on China's bad side when that happens.
    You said it yourself, the rule of law is the advantage to HK. That is irreplaceable. There is nowhere else in China with a legal system that is trusted by MNCs. HK cannot simply be replaced. Because there is no alternative to that in China. No amount of "opening up" will change that.

Original Post Deleted
    Your first point is very true. This place will become even more of a police state than it already is. Expats here who wouldn't mind living in China should consider moving to the mainland, HK will be unliveable if it ends up being a Tibet or a Xinjiang. I can't stand the mainland, so out of China + SARs it is for me.
    Coolboy, mucaari, Gatts and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    All of those advantages you have cited will disappear in an instant if the national security law get's enacted. There won't be any rule of law if anyone can be arrested for some vague threats to national security. Do you think Jimmy Lai and his Next Media will still be protected by "the rule of law" after the national security legislation has been passed?
    As far I can remember the national security law is to "prevent and punish subversion, terrorism, separatism and foreign interference" under the Basic law.

We are all waiting for the full details of the bill. I can definitely see a potential impact on freedom of speech but please explain to me the connection with corporate law and business affairs?

As far I can remember the national security law is to "prevent and punish subversion, terrorism, separatism and foreign interference" under the Basic law.

We are all waiting for the full details of the bill. I can definitely see a potential impact on freedom of speech but please explain to me the connection with corporate law and business affairs?
    If they don't like what your company is doing or if it threatens the profits of one of the local tycoons then they will find a reason to punish you. Have you done business in the mainland with flexible tax rates?
    Coolboy and Morrison like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    You said it yourself, the rule of law is the advantage to HK. That is irreplaceable. There is nowhere else in China with a legal system that is trusted by MNCs. HK cannot simply be replaced. Because there is no alternative to that in China. No amount of "opening up" will change that.
    It is replaceable

Either directly (companies going Mainland directly as once again China WILL open up) or indirectly (to other countries in Asia as we are seeing right now amid COVID. Currently, US conglomerates CEOs are talking in Congress to discuss the massive re-onshoring strategy of sectors out of China and back to the US and in other APAC countries such as Indonesia).

As you can see HK does not have an option.

It is replaceable
    No it is not. MNCs do not trust the mainland legal system. They will not replace and replicate their HK office on the mainland for that reason alone. As for elsewhere in Asia, that would not benefit China at all and is going to hurt them, because those countries will be subject to the influence of the US. True, Southeast Asian countries do not want to pick between China or the US, but at the end of the day, if that choice has to be made, who do you think they will pick? The US.

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast