Like Tree144Likes

UK offers possible path for BNO passport holders..

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Original Post Deleted
    Tougher words than I can ever remember.

What has the EU said?
    shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MatthieuTofu:

Oooft. Fair play to Johnson (and the SCMP for that matter).
    dossier likes this.

Interesting to see this new found independence of sorts...

https://twitter.com/Rover829/status/1268064055865995265

What about the remaining 3 to 3.5 million people in HK that are not eligible for BNO and only have HK Passports.

With reference to the UK in some of the articles it is mentioned HK residents and HK citizens are eligible but then they state applicable to BNO.

Quote Originally Posted by bak875:
    What about the remaining 3 to 3.5 million people in HK that are not eligible for BNO and only have HK Passports.

With reference to the UK in some of the articles it is mentioned HK residents and HK citizens are eligible but then they state applicable to BNO.
    Most of them are immigrants from the mainland. Hard to see why the UK should help them. It's obliged to help the people who were it's "almost citizens" at the time of the handover.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    Most of them are immigrants from the mainland. Hard to see why the UK should help them. It's obliged to help the people who were it's "almost citizens" at the time of the handover.
    While I agree that the UK responsibility should not extend to those who were not born under British rule, it's not correct to state that most of the remaining population immigrated from the mainland. Without looking into it much, I found that in 2013 there were about 3/4 of a million that came and since the maximum number is just over 50 000 a year, it should be just over a million which is a significant number to which you could add kids but it still wouldn't even qualify as a majority of the remaining people.

If it was my call, I'd say BNO holders are British and allow holders to swap their passports for proper British ones... and that would entitle their children to British passports...

I do feel bad for anyone who can't out via BNO/work/investment who ends up stuck in a gutted out HK... I have a feeling that most asylum claims would be treated favourably...

Speaking to across-section of pals, it seems everyone is looking to leave... one friend reckons a 'lawyer in Canada' says he can help her get there for $30000, yes, thirty thousand... I said that sounds like an obvious scam to me... what do you guys think?

I be lots of scammers pop up to 'help' HKers get out...

mrgoodkat likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    How about their children? I agree with you about people who immigrated after the handover.

My problem is the whole moral problem of giving it back.

Let me put it another way, in the modern world, we don't rent countries... for me it would be like having borrowed a slave and slavery being abolished in your world, but you give the slave back to the owner.

I think the UK has a moral obligation to BNOs and their offspring.

Actually, I think the UK should tear up the agreement and support HK independence.... yes, that is what I think they should do.

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast