Like Tree144Likes

UK offers possible path for BNO passport holders..

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast

Someone correct me if I’m wrong but I thought BNO passports were only available to the older folk who applied for these passports before the handover. This means it is out of reach for most of the arrested young protesters who deserve help and a way out. In fact the people I know with BNO passports tend to be older ex civil servants who are blue (pro beijing) AF

Bartholomeuw and MatthieuTofu like this.

Quote Originally Posted by WeeRandomer:
    Someone correct me if I’m wrong but I thought BNO passports were only available to the older folk who applied for these passports before the handover. This means it is out of reach for most of the arrested young protesters who deserve help and a way out. In fact the people I know with BNO passports tend to be older ex civil servants who are blue (pro beijing) AF
    Correct, only issued before 1997. current young protesters will not have BNO.
    WeeRandomer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckster007:
    Correct, only issued before 1997. current young protesters will not have BNO.
    IMO its a token useless offer to the younger generation.
    WeeRandomer and MatthieuTofu like this.

Quote Originally Posted by RMDNC:
    IMO its a token useless offer to the younger generation.
    Who can pay more to prop up UK's property market? The older generation or the younger generation?

RMDNC, shri and GentleGeorge like this.

Something the UK should have offered years ago.

Nonetheless, quite an interesting development.

What happens to Hong Kong citizens that did not apply for a BNO passport? How about people born after 1997?

BNO can’t be passed to off spring. What happens if a BNO holder applies, will their immediate family be allowed to go to the UK with them? Will their immediate family be able to apply for citizenship once the criteria has been met?

Will protestors that have been convicted of protest related offenses be able to go to the UK and apply for citizenship?

How much would it cost to apply for citizenship?

Would be interested to hear if Douglas Herd would like to make any comments....

markranson likes this.

Interesting development indeed, but it just seems like a glorified work permit at this point, that is still inaccessible to most Gen Z protestors who do not have this passport.

Quote Originally Posted by WeeRandomer:
    In fact the people I know with BNO passports tend to be older ex civil servants who are blue (pro beijing) AF
    Are you sure they are only BNO? The UK government handed out full citizenship to thousands of the top civil servants in HK and actively encouraged them to resettle in the UK after the handover.

BNO was offered to all Hong Kongers at that time, regardless of perceived value by the government.

A lot of the Indian community converted their BNO to full UK passports a couple of decades+ ago. Not sure what the process was... It was non-trivial but not impossible.

I tend to think given all the race issues globally, that Taiwan may have a short term solution for the younger generation.

Tyresmoke likes this.

Anecdotal evidence - I know of two people who have reapplied for the BNO in the past week, compared to zero in the past 10-15 years. I suspect it will become quite a popular passport in the coming months.

I think at the moment BNO passport holders can only 'visit' the UK. The change to being able 'to apply to work and study for extendable periods of 12 months' is welcome although the devil is in the detail as always, and UK immigration are not known for their competence.

Mr Chips likes this.

Most civil servants including those who worked for discipline services that had been in service for a number of years in 1997 got the full British passport, it was definitely not just top officials. I'm not sure what the cutoff was for years of service but those that only had a couple only got BNO. True that it doesn't help the younger generation but it would be a step in the right direction and at least send a signal to China. I agree that Taiwan could make a bold statement by doing something there. I would like to see that happen.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN2340R8

Last edited by Aramis; 29-05-2020 at 09:16 AM.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast